Sockets on skirting boards

It is useful, thank you. Will check out as much as possible this evening. Although I don't think we'll be able to unscrew light fittings. But we will check the fuse board.
Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links
Can you take a digital camera with you and get a snap of the fuse box? If not then a description. This will give us a far better idea of the age / condition of the installation.

Right, we've been to look and here's what we found:

Fuse box looks old and is brown in colour. Wires coming from the fusebox are flat, grey modern looking. It's been earthed. The builder that came to look at the loft reckons it's been re-wired at some point but not sure when.
A bit has been added for the electric shower by the look of it. Builder looked and said it had been earthed (thick green and yellow cables coming from the fuse box)

Anyone, does this give anyone any more ideas?

mistee said:
Fuse box looks old and is brown in colour. Wires coming from the fusebox are flat, grey modern looking. It's been earthed.

Most likely a Wylex standard. If it is brown then probably over 30 years old (they were replaced by Cream ones in the early 1970's). Brown Fuseboxes and Grey flat wires have been around for at least 40 years but could have been fitted by a DIY'er any time since then. May or may not be safe, will not be to current standards. Budget to spend "a few thousand" in having it rewired.

As a minimum have a Periodic Inspection Report carried out for a fee by a qualified electrician so you know what needs priority. Don't have a free survey by someone who will use it as a hook to sell you expensive repairs.

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Albert said:
The recommended hight for sockets and switches is between 450mm and 1200mm (about 17" to 47").
In a new build or fully refurbished property.

Yep I know, therefor i mentioned that it is recommended, as well as if the property is going to be re-done why not following the existing regulations.

Albert said:
Yep I know, therefor i mentioned that it is recommended, as well as if the property is going to be re-done why not following the existing regulations.
Because sockets and switches at those heights look crap.

Sockets not bad at that height ban, in fact I done quite a few at that height and higher over the years, but switches too low yes you got a point there mate

ban-all-sheds said:
...Because sockets and switches at those heights look crap.

No they don't, they look lovely :LOL: :LOL:

Wait until you've got a bad back and a bad leg, you'll be glad if you don't have to stoop down.

I'm not denying that.

There are plenty of people for whom a stairlift is a godsend, but that doesn't mean they look good.

ban-all-sheds said:
Albert said:
Because sockets and switches at those heights look crap.

Completely not relevant...

Albert - you asked why not follow the regulations, and I gave you an answer.

I do not agree with you that the appearance of a finished job is irrelevant, therefore an appearance-related reason is a relevant answer.

The way a job is finished is as important as the job itself, a job done properly is a safe installation a job done nicely is a good job, so I do not hesitate to agree with you about the the "looks" of the job.

But, if the house will have all the sockets/switches at the same height, even it is 450mm/1200mm I personally find it acceptable, all is part of what you are used to and your personal preferences.

I already find sockets on skirting to look weird and unattractive (quite apart from being cracked by the hoover bashing them). I am sure that as we get used to higher socket positions we will all find them normal and not unpleasing to the eye.

JohnD said:
I already find sockets on skirting to look weird and unattractive (quite apart from being cracked by the hoover bashing them). I am sure that as we get used to higher socket positions we will all find them normal and not unpleasing to the eye.

I was "Mr anti" about sockets @ 450 but when I did an extension I bit the bullet (I kept the light switches as existing because I thought mixing them would be confusing). The whole family find them much better and to be honest, they look fine now. In fact the the existing sockets look low as apposed to the new ones looking high.

Back on topic...
I read somewhere that you should expect PVC cable to have a lifetime of 30-35 years on average. So you (and I0 are probably reaching the end of that lifetime.
As john D says the regulations have changes since then so some stuff may need upgrading. Your bonding (to the gas and water pipes) is probably one of these things (i know mine needed redoing).
if you really want peice of mind then do as he has said and get a pro in to give it the once over.
I guess it's best done now rather than after you've bought it. If nothing else if work needs doing it's bartering power to negotiate the price.

By the way what would be the telltale signs of the cable reaching the end of its lifetime? Poor insulation properties?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back