Water displacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does an aqueduct's stanchions/supports recognise or feel the weight of a barge floating across the water as it passes over them?

Or, is this a simple displacement issue?

Sponsored Links
....unless the barge sinks, i guess!

but... does the structure recognise the fact that it is more top heavy?

what i mean is, can the mass of such objects, floating upon such a structure, destabilize or cause an imbalance to say a very tall aqueduct.

on a windy day.

but do you take into account of evaporation in your workings.

Sponsored Links

Not quite.
On a closed waterway, the volume of water displaced by the barge will raise the level of water very slightly throughout the whole system.
Thus the aqueduct will be carrying a small amount of extra weight.

If I wanted to be picky that is................ ;)

What if the water was replaced with a conveyor belt?

so if i pop a glass of water onto a set of bathroom scales then put a buoyant object into the glass, where does the mass go?

so if i pop a glass of water onto a set of bathroom scales then put a buoyant object into the glass, where does the mass go?

It goes nowhere.
If you were to put a ball which weighed 1 KG, into a large glass of water, it will displace 1 KG of water for it to float.
Your scales will show the total weight which will now be 1 KG heavier.

the bouyancy and mass are different and irrelevant in this case.
the weight will tranfer to the viaduct.
wether the object floats or sinks.
its density dictates wether it floats or sinks.
if the mass of water displaced by the object is greater than the mass of the object then an upward thrust equilvalent to the mas of water displaced is exterted on the object so the level of bouyancy is equal to the mass of displaced water minus the mass of the object.

this bit is wrong
the weight will tranfer to the viaduct.
If the barge is moving along the canal, and at some point passes over the viaduct, the weight carried by the viaduct will not change.

The weight of the barge causing displacement of water is spread over the entire area of the canal, it is not concentrated at any one point.

Sponsored Links
Back