Kingfisher potterton thermostat playing up?

So far I can't see anywhere it's blocked, I'm now thinking the boiler could be scaled up therefore restricting the flow thus overpumping into the header :?:

I've gave it some thought, so maybe it's time to invest for a new boiler and is it pointless to descale the boiler when it's now nearly 25yrs old :?:

I have been very please with my potterton kingfisher (or am'I lucky!) and just has a quick look they still do the kingfisher's range of boiler, I was looking at the F/S Potterton Kingfisher MFL model, any comments or your recommendation of floor standing boiler is appreciated before I call the plumber

Sponsored Links
It's most unlikely that the boiler is 'scaled up' as such. Where would the lime to cause the scale come from? The water going through it is supposed to be in a closed circuit.

If you're lucky, there'll be a drainoff on the boiler heat exchanger. Worth trying to get that open and see what comes out. Powerflushing through a large cast iron boiler in the hope that you'll wash the crud out of it upwards is not often worthwhile.

Aaaarh! Masona, you're perilously close to the reaction we see all too often when there's sludge in the system, leaky rad valves, poor controls, knackered pump, rads too small etc etc.
In the extreme it goes
"It's OK my mate's a plumber and he's going to bang a new boiler in so it'll be all right." No it won't!

Keep your boiler there's nothing wrong with it! You haven't tols us the order of the pipes /pump/vent etc so we can't be more precise, but the blockage is likely to be partly in some of the pipes which don't get a lot of flow, like the bottom end of the feed pipe. Powerflushing doesn't shift hard blockages very well. Try cutting the ipes where you can and poking a thin waste-pipe unblocking spring down/up/along. If that's impossible you can try acid descaler, but that needs neutralising and can find leaks elsewhere, etc, and won't be as good.

Thanks, croydoncorgi & ChrisR, I agreed with you 100%.

The latest, I've found & cutted out the section where the cold feed enter into the system (under the laminated flooring :rolleyes: ). On the T-piece the magnet was making a attraction, there was scale/debris/rust/sludge just mainly on the outside pipe making a smaller diameter no blockage therefore was a restricted flow I was thinking. I have also modify the expansion pipe and the cold feed as close as possible and some more pipe work where I could to get rid of the restricted flow. On goes the boiler which seems to be quieter but within 10 mins it was pumping back into the F&E tank. Called the plumber in and he has a headache :), couldn't understand why, he suggested there could be a restricted flow in the boiler casing as it didn't pumped over when the boiler thermostat was right on minimum and suggested to descale the boiler casing but felt the boiler 60 btu was undersize for my system. It was okay when it was put in with 6 radiators but added on another 7 rads over the years :eek: :!: So basically the boiler was working flat out to keep up and suggested if I wanted a new boiler between 80-90 btu for my bigger system (more economical :?: )and I'm now also thinking probably best to renew the water cylinder at the same time because I'm thinking the internal coil might be near leaking and is old with the red jacket on it. I'm now waiting for a quote then decide what to do. I'm not sure what make of boiler he's recommending yet, will tell you when I hear.

Sponsored Links
I've also noticed while I was putting back the pipe insulation that the F&E vent pipe join to the T-piece of the feed pipe just under the tank leaving 1 pipe to the circulation system, is this okay? I thought they both have to join the circulation system apart close together(?)

masona said:
I'm not sure what make of boiler he's recommending yet, will tell you when I hear.
Right here's the estimate, is it a fair price and the manufacter boiler is okay? Not much difference in the prices & I would like to hear whatever your comments is on these 2 boilers or what would you recommend?

What I don't understand is, why is the Ideal Mexico are the only manufacters floor standing condensing boilers. :?: :confused:

07/03/2006 ESTIMATE

Due to new building regulations introduced on 1st April 2005 Part L, by law you are now required to have thermostatic valves fitted on all radiators except where room thermostat is located and all boilers must have an energy efficiency rating of not less than 86%, (Band A or B) ie Condensing Boilers, and part J, it is legal requirement for the relevant local building control department to be notified of the installation or exchange of any heat producing appliance and associated fittings or services served by the appliance (unde Part L) withih residential dwellings.

Remove existing central heating boiler, cylinder and dispose thereof.
Supply and fit Ideal Mexico HE30 floor standing band A condensing boiler and 48"x18" foamed lagged ID cylinder with immersion heater and thermostat. Ideal Mexico are the only manufacters floor standing condensing boilers.

Run new gas supply to boiler from meter. Supply all copper tube fittings, valves etc.

All materials used are quality guaranteed, Gas and Water Board approved in the interest of health and safety.

Option 1 Ideal Mexico HE30..................£3075.00

Option 2 Vaillant Ecomax Pro 28...........£2775.00

This price includes injecting the heating system with a Fernox cleanser prior to draining the heating system, and flushing out all sludge and debris, before installing new boiler and refilling with Fernox system protection inhibiter.

You will also receive a certificate from Corgi under the gas work notification scheme which will become instrumental in the sale of your property coming into force from 2007 when the Home Information Pack becomes compulsory

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back