Potterton Kingfisher Obscelete parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am trying to locate a intermediate section heat exchanger for a Potterton Kingfisher Mk 2 Cf100. Have tried all companies online but keep turning up a blank. Does anyone know where I might source one from or whether anyone keeps old boilers for spares etc etc. Also is this heat exchanger common to any of the other mk2 CF models? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Richard

Sponsored Links
I dont understand why DIYers always expect to be able to buy everything on line.

The reality is that the mail order only firms only deal with fast moving parts.

Try Parts Center but its probably a special order.

One would question why you want to repair an older boiler rather than replace it with a nice new condensing boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its not really cost effective replacing heat exchangers like this. IF you found one your probably looking at a few hundred quid minimum, then labour on top. You may as well get a new boiler.

Richard, knowing what the problem is with the boiler, might be able to suggest an answer.

Whats the part number ?
Its an outside chance but if its 0536259 I have one sitting here.
Edit:-
just looked on partsarena.com/baxi looks like its 204227 and indeed listed as obsolete

Thanks all for your replies. Ideally I need to repair this one is due to it's location in the house and, if replaced would involve extensive pipework and associated disruption to house to relocate to an outside wall for condensing. In addition the house needs extensive work and will only be occupied by the present owner for a year or so more and so the £4000 or so cost of replacement with labour not recuped. I am a knowlegeable layman with plumbing/heating installs and will be able to reassemble myself, I have not had to interfere with the gas side in stripping it down save the flue casing and will get it checked on reassembly. The fault with heat exchanger is a split in base about 5 inches long in casting. If I cannot get a part I was considering consulting an engine reconditioners re cast iron welding the split, is this anything anyone can advise on? I will check the part no. to see if it looks right. Sorry for the 'online thing' but as an amature don't know the best places to start looking for obscelete parts easily!

Many thanks all, Richard

Hi DP, thanks for your reply. Fault is a split about 5 inches long in base, ie above burner, on the seam. Was considering a cast iron weld repair as done for car engine blocks? Only need boiler to last another year or two at outside.

Richard

I am a knowlegeable layman with plumbing/heating installs and will be able to reassemble myself,

Many thanks all, Richard

in that case you will know that its illegal for you to install any gas appliance if you are not qualified and registered.

That includes replacing the heat exchanger as its part of the "gas train".

Have you checked that the ventilation is adequate and that the flue is operating safely?

Tony

Obviously I will get it all checked by a Corgi registered agent after reassembly. The boiler is still 'in check' at moment and there are no probs with flue. I thought that only a new installation connot be done 'non qualified' with subsequent checks by corgi engineer?

Water leaking from the heat exchanger renders it Immediately Dangerous!

Hi DP, thanks for your reply. Fault is a split about 5 inches long in base, ie above burner, on the seam. Was considering a cast iron weld repair as done for car engine blocks? Only need boiler to last another year or two at outside.

Richard

you could weld it but i doubt it would be too reliable.

ever seen a boiler drop the entire contents of the heating system into your house? i have, it isnt pretty. :LOL:

And obviously I wouldn't consider recomissioning it unless it was safe, either preferably with a new part or if salvigeable, a cast iron weld repair. As with all things old, there will be someone out there with the part i need but it's finding them it that's the problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back