End feed to iron adaptors

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cb9002

I was going to use some end feed to iron adaptors like these:

p4752299_l.jpg
p4752294_l.jpg

but was thinking... they would have to be tightened onto the fitting before the pipe was soldered in - wouldn't the ptfe/jointing compound get damaged by the heat? What do you use?

I know using a compression adaptor would work but I'm trying to avoid that as I'm tiling over the floor space which the adaptors will be in.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The ptfe will be ok, but what pipe is it screwing onyo and what is the use.

Converting 1/2" cooker bayonet wall plate into 10mm copper for a hob.

There used to be a cooker on a standard bayonet, so I was going to use those iron adaptors at each end, and reducers to 10mm - it sounds like thats the standard way of doing it nowadays.

The existing hob is connected with a cooker hose, which I know is wrong.

And before the litany of complaints... I have the MIs, am complying with all the installation rules and I have a manometer and do let by/pressure drop tests.

Oh, and the pipework is sized fine, well in excess of the calc minimums, and the current working pressure at the jets is fine too.

but was thinking... they would have to be tightened onto the fitting before the pipe was soldered in - wouldn't the ptfe/jointing compound get damaged by the heat? What do you use?

And before the litany of complaints... I have the MIs, am complying with all the installation rules and I have a manometer and do let by/pressure drop tests.

are you quite sure you know what your doing?

Sponsored Links
Probably ;)

and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gas PTFE acceptable on threaded connections?

I just want to make sure that the heat from the torch won't damage the tape, or boss white, or whatever I joint with.

Probably ;)

and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gas PTFE acceptable on threaded connections?

I just want to make sure that the heat from the torch won't damage the tape, or boss white, or whatever I joint with.

I think you would do well to check that before you continue :idea:

Yes but from some of your questions it's obvious you're not registered. Post in the combustion chamber and prove it...then expect some answers.

It's apparenty there are several un-registered on the forum lately, asking simple questions...gives the game away somewhat.

I didn't connect the hob. Thats why I'm trying to sort it.

And this is supposed to be a DIY forum.

I didn't connect the hob. Thats why I'm trying to sort it.

And this is supposed to be a DIY forum.

What are you trying to sort out. :rolleyes:

Are you an RGI or not.

DIYnot does not support diygas especially posters that are not competent

No, I'm not CORGI and nor do I claim to be.

The answer to my question seems to be that the soldering won't damage the PTFE. I guess I'll find out when I do the pressure drop test.

Thank you doitall for your inital response.

There is no way I will provide advice for diy gas work. If the forum decides to go this route I for one will stop posting...I will not be associated with it. The OP ignored advice concerning his gas fire (that he fitted and assumes is safe despite insufficient testing).

The fact that the OP doesn't realise compression fittings are illegal under the floor and soldering a fitting after being being sealed with PTFE will result in damage to the PTFE is all too obvious to us that are competent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back