loop in at the switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would anybody have any wiring diagrams for when you loop at the switch rather than the ceiling rose. One and two way lighting.

Which method do you prefer?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
As RF says, consult the wiki.

I am a fan of loop-in-switch for a lot of new installations and full rewires where a deeper back box can be used. It solves a lot of problems when fitting downlighters walllights etc where lopp-in-fitting becomes difficult/impossible.

People aren't as fond of ceiling roses as they used to be...

Thanks very much for the replies

I have looked through the Wiki, and your Link RF.

Unfortunatly I can't find what I am after. In a two way switch I guess you have to take the fed to L1 and not common as the light will be constantly on I think :?:

Also I guess you would be chasing up the wall and not horizontal to each switch.
In the chase you would have the feed to the switch and feed back to the light and the feed to the next switch. Right :?: :?: Thats up and down the wall and not in the ceiling void

I can't see how that is easier/better/preferable, but I guess it must be or people would not do it.

Hence my need for a clear diagram. I am having trouble visualising this type of installation

Sponsored Links
In a 2 way arrangement the switch wire is connected across L1 and L2. You can see on the single way lighting wiki how to connect in loop in at switch, you need to do the same as this to deal with the neutral and earth conductors, then connect the switch wires L1 and L2, then the strappers L1, L2 and common.
It is allowed to chase horizontal between accessories, however if it is unlikely to be considered that there will be electrical wires there then vertical and through the ceiling void will be preferable.

had a look at the link could not see a bunch of neutrals in a con block in the switch can someone please show me a publication that sets out this diy method or hands up any time served spark who 3 plates in a switch 5 day wonders not included

hi s 123 just looked at your link again cant see 2 way switching
with this method or am i missing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back