Boarding a loft for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone provide tips / idiots guide on where to get started with this project:

* type of wood boards needed (plywood?? depth??)
* how to fix the loft boards to the joists
* types of screws to use

Want to use the loft purely for storage.

Thanks all :confused:

Sponsored Links
most sheds supply "wood for loft floors" in packs (b & Q do) 1 1/2 inch 8 screws sorted

I used the loft boards from B&Q, secured them to the joists with 1.25 or 1.5 inch chipboard screws, after drilling pilot hole and countersink. Always drill & screw them, never hammer in nails.

I only used the B&Q boards for areas that will be walked/crawled upon - a lot of the stuff I'm storing is lightweight (cardboard boxes for HiFi and the like) so doesn't need any strength at all - for this I just got some regular hardboard pieces and scattered these loose over the areas the boxes were to go - just need to remember not to lean on them when I go to retrieve stuff!

Regards, Graham

I am also looking at boarding out my small loft space to use as a storage area.
I have looked at the kits available in B&Q - but was wondering if I needed to provide any more support as I may need to walk around the loft to get at the stuff I want to store up there.

Also do I need to do anything to the underside of the roof to prevent any damage to what I am storing up there.

Sponsored Links
I have used the loft boards available from B&Q etc in the past and have had no problems with walking on them.

What damage are you expecting?. The most likely thing you will get is dust. You may get some condensation if your roof space isn't well ventilated.

nstreet said:
What damage are you expecting?. The most likely thing you will get is dust. You may get some condensation if your roof space isn't well ventilated.

I was thinking I might have problems with dust & damp.
Thinking about it - I would just like to tidy up the underside of the roof & make it a clean storage space.

i started off with b+q packs...then i found a wood 'shed' which sold boards cheaper and larger so i could cover more area quickly
i have moved now so cant recall the sizes..
i fixed the boards..which were chipboard with screws at opp corners only..
that is 2 screws per board...
when they are locked into place they wont move...or lift up..
cheers
glad to do a post on here..mostly asking for info..

T&G chipboard from Wickes 2400 x 600mm x 18mm £3.98 per sheet.

I think the loft pack board is a dearer way of doing it.

if youve got a reasonably square loft, or are going to board a square area, find the centre line of the area, and lay the centre of the first board on that. You can then work from the centre in each direction and the boards you cut at the end can be used to start the next row(starting at the end not the middle), ensuring little waste. Mark where the joists are on the boards as you go and that way you will always be able to get the screw in the joist

The way I do mine is to use 3"x1" flat on top of the joists in opposite direction then lay the flooring on top. This way you get cross air flow ventilation and no need to chop out the notch for cable.

masona said:
The way I do mine is to use 3"x1" flat on top of the joists in opposite direction then lay the flooring on top. This way you get cross air flow ventilation and no need to chop out the notch for cable.

This sounds like a winner to me!
I will be tackling my loft space this weekend.

good luck, and have a spare piece of board handy to put across the joists you havnt boarded yet and are working near to avoid your legs going through to the room below

what about insulation chaps underneath?the joists in our house are at odd centers 430-450mm.insulation comes as standard now does'nt it?300 summat?the height is ok -approx 100mm.i am thinking of doing the same with my loft.i had 8'*4'*18mm chipboard in mind then cutting with circular saw(cheaper option) .where would be the best place to get some insulation.thanks ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back