Europlug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permissible under IEE regs to install Europlug (continental type) sockets in a domestic house in uk instead of standard BS 3 pin sockets?

Sponsored Links
Which type of Euro Socket. French is OK if shuttered type German is no as it is reversible.

The main thing is they must have shutters over the holes and be non reversible also of course with our ring main either fused connection units would be required or the main overload would need reducing to 16A.

There is a list of British and EU standards permitted and this would not include most Euro sockets.

553.1.5 A plug and socket-outlet not complying with BS 1363. BS 546, BS 196 or BS EN 60309-2, may be used in single-phase a.c. or two-wire d.c. circuits operating at a nominal voltage not exceeding 250 volts for:
(i) the connection of an electric clock, provided that the plug and socket-outlet are designed specifically for that purpose, and that each plug incorporates a fuse of rating not exceeding 3 amperes complying with BS 646 or BS 1362 as appropriate
(ii) the connection of an electric shaver. provided that the socket-outlet is either incorporated in a shaver supply unit complying with BS EN 61558-2-5 or, in a room other than a bathroom, is a type complying with BS 4573
(iii) a circuit having special characteristics such that danger would otherwise arise or it is necessary to distinguish the function of the circuit.

Since the blue industrial sockets BS EN 60309-2 are allowed and are to Euro Standard you can use them in a British house but I think they look ugly.

So no builder would use anything other than BS 1363 (fuses to BS 1362) or BS 546 (fuses, if any, to BS 646) or BS 196.

So these
800px-Schuko_plug_and_socket.png
are not allowed but you may get French sockets with shutters to take these
180px-CEE_7-7.jpg
note the hole to take earth pin which means these can only be inserted one way around in French sockets but same plug can also be used with German Schuko sockets but those would not be allowed in UK.

Sponsored Links
If the wiring is to BS7671 then Eric is correct. However the building regulations do allow the choice of another countries set of regulations to satisfy the safety requirements. I know of one person who persuaded his BCO to accept German regulations as an alternative, so that he could have a socket in the bathroom.

In general, you would have to have the gift of the gab to get this agreement though.

If the wiring is to BS7671 then Eric is correct. However the building regulations do allow the choice of another countries set of regulations to satisfy the safety requirements. I know of one person who persuaded his BCO to accept German regulations as an alternative, so that he could have a socket in the bathroom.

In general, you would have to have the gift of the gab to get this agreement though.

Thanks.....I though that the latest IEE allowed the installtion of a socket in a bathroom with certain provisos??

Yeah, this was a lot closer to the bath, :) and also for use by German visitors.

Can we get back to OP regarding use of Euro power sockets?
I think we have to assuem that British Regs are being followed....

The preferred type is BS1363 and erics covered most of it.
In theory it could be that certain european standards may allowed if Building Controls consider them to be relevant.
So its a no and yes from me.

The Germans :!: don't mention the war or the dangers of that socket :LOL:

When it comes to safety the Germans are allowed, even encouraged, by their government to think, as individuals, about how to act safely for themselves and for others.

Unlike the UK where the government is always making laws that ensure everything will be so safe that no-one will ever need to think about safety for themselves.

( yes I am being just a little bit cynical )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back