UK Plugs and Sockets Regulations

Sponsored Links
You need <5% VD at 5V, 2.5A, assuming a length of 2m. You do the math.
I wasn't thinking of anything like as much as 2 metres - does BAS not want the hub near his PC?!

Kind Regards, John.

Who says his PC is even in the same room?

Also note you need to take the USB cables to the devices into consideration when sizing the supply to the hub.

Sponsored Links
Who says his PC is even in the same room? Also note you need to take the USB cables to the devices into consideration when sizing the supply to the hub.
All valid points. However, BAS seemed to be implying that the wallwart and its lead would have served his purpose had it not been for the nature of the pins on the wallwart. I'm actually not sure I understand all this talk about extending the lead - since, if the plan were to get 5V from the PC, I would have thought that more likely to require a shorter power lead than a longer one!

Kind Regards, John.

A lot of faffing about though, as the cables wouldn't be long enough.
Yes, I know he said that - but, as I said, I don't quite understand why. If the walwart's lead would be long enough to plug in (to an appropriate socket), I'm not sure why it wouldn't be long enough to go straight to the computer. Ah well!

Kind Regards, John.

I also have found problems with buying items with CEE 7/16 (Europlug 2.5 A/250 V ungrounded) connectors as problem. Although there are a few adaptors which have a surround which supports the plug these are rare.

When on holiday or failing that when my daughter goes to Turkey I often ask them to get me in-line sockets or adaptors to plug wallwart adaptors into.

I bought a Jingtong radio 2m transceiver and must take my hat off to the Chinese it's very good especially if I consider the last 2m transceiver a Yaesu FT50 cost 8 times the price even buying while in Hong Kong which also has a wallwart CEE 7/16 (Europlug 2.5 A/250 V ungrounded) connection. But the adaptor which came with the radio NEMA 1–15 (North American 15 A/125 V ungrounded) to UK BS 1363 (British 13 A/230–240 V 50 Hz grounded and fused) was unfused and I have marked it do not use.

In other words only I use it!

I know BAS will find a way around the problem in the same way as I have but the "Normal Person" must have problems and one has to ask if we should be pressurising consumer protection to ensure firms comply or if we should educate people to what is safe.

Personally I do not think we will ever stop the grey imports with internet and so education is the way to go. We should be showing UK residents how in the third world live is cheap and if they buy from the internet then they must expect to use some common sense and not expect to find all items bought will be automatically safe.

But to be fair BAS does stipulate it was a .co.uk site but I think to try and control any internet sales is really beyond and consumer protection to be able to police.

So down to nitty gritty do we want the UK authorities to be able to stop us from buying from any provider that we can find? Personally I would say no. If I can find a supplier who will supply me with what I want then great. It is up to me to decide if it is worth the risk.

The Jingtong radio 2m transceiver is banned in USA as it does not comply with their paperwork trail luck I live in UK and as such it is up to me as a licensed ham to decide if the radio complies with UK law. And it does even if the charge adaptor does not.

So BAS got what he wanted and is very capable of redressing any failings so to my mind that's OK even if it does not dot all the i's or cross all the t's it is up to the buyer to beware!

In no particular order:

Yes I do know how to join cables - the question was semi-rhetorical. I hate joining bits of flex together unless utterly unavoidable. If I were to take a supply from the PC I'd want to find a rewirable plug to use so that I could have an unbroken length.

And I'd want an outlet on the PC case, as having wires just coming out of a gap in it is also tacky.

It's 2 hubs, 2 systems, but one is a laptop so it would mean always having the other one on if the laptop needed the hub.

Distance from sockets on the wall to the shelf I'd be fixing this to:

410597_BB_01_FB.EPS.jpg

is a lot less than the distance to the PC, as that's a tower on the floor, plus I'd need even more length in a cable from there so I could pull the unit out when necessary.

Yes I will find a way around my problem - first step is to see what the people I bought them from say - in the English instructions in the box it says to plug the power supply into a standard wall socket.....

I know BAS will find a way around the problem in the same way as I have but the "Normal Person" must have problems and one has to ask if we should be pressurising consumer protection to ensure firms comply or if we should educate people to what is safe.
We should do both.

In this case I have no reason to suspect that what I bought is unsafe, but it's not fit for purpose, so for anybody, no matter what their resources, it would involve time and/or extra expenditure to remedy that.

Personally I do not think we will ever stop the grey imports with internet and so education is the way to go. We should be showing UK residents how in the third world live is cheap and if they buy from the internet then they must expect to use some common sense and not expect to find all items bought will be automatically safe.
That is true, but I think that people like Amazon, for example, should have responsibilities to ensure that they do not provide a vehicle for the sale of unsafe goods.

But to be fair BAS does stipulate it was a .co.uk site
Indeed, and that of a company based in the EU and one which has physical presence in the UK, so hardly a grey import.

but I think to try and control any internet sales is really beyond and consumer protection to be able to police.
Depends what you mean by "control". I really see no problem with extending existing legislation to make anybody who facilitates the sale of items into this country which would be illegal if they were sold in a shop or a market stall here responsible.

That's not policing the entire internet, it's telling Amazon that they will be held to account for things which they choose to be made available through amazon.co.uk, it's telling eBay that they will be held to account for things from business sellers they choose to be made available through ebay.co.uk, and so on.

So down to nitty gritty do we want the UK authorities to be able to stop us from buying from any provider that we can find? Personally I would say no. If I can find a supplier who will supply me with what I want then great. It is up to me to decide if it is worth the risk.
There are issues of trust - I do think that people do have the right to expect to be able to trust companies like Amazon in the same way that they feel they can trust John Lewis, Currys etc.

If people choose to buy from a 100% foreign website then 100% caveat emptor should apply, just as if they were physically abroad and went to a shop or a market.

The grey area is what/how to control foreign companies who set up a .uk web site.

So BAS got what he wanted and is very capable of redressing any failings so to my mind that's OK even if it does not dot all the i's or cross all the t's it is up to the buyer to beware!
It's not OK from my POV if I have to spend time and/or money redressing the failings.

It may be legal to sell equipment like this in the UK, but every time I have, I have been offered (at no extra cost) a europlug adapter, this converting the schuko to a BS1363 plug without the need for butchery.

My opinion is it is necessary to educate the general public that if you buy at a cheap price you stand every chance of getting a cheap and dodgy item that might be dangerous to use.

The nanny state has made claims that it protects the public from danger.

It doesn't, a fact that the number of dangerous items openly on sale proves.

It is now time for the "managers" of the nanny state system to publically admit that while their intention is good there is no way they can ensure that every item on sale legally or illegally is safe to use.

It will not stop people buying cheap, there will always be those who grab a bargain without thinking about safety, but it may reduce the amount of dangerous equipment being sold to the public.

And the other weapon, if we can't improve the rate of detection, is to make the penalties for trading standards offences so eye-watering as to be a real deterrent.

If fines were 10x or 100x what they are now, (and the money was ring-fenced to fund Trading Standards operations), and if repeat offences rapidly escalated to shutdown of businesses, sequestration of assets and imprisonment, you'd start to see a marked improvement.

Perhaps the owners and directors of Amazon could simply be hung, drawn and quartered for a second offense. Would that satisfy you?

You're being ridiculous.

I'm being serious - something has to be done to put a stop to "partners" on Amazon, from anywhere in the world, selling what the hell they like, and Amazon, despite providing a means for them to do it, processing payments, charging money to the seller, and making a profit from it all, being able to wash their hands of all responsibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back