2 pin round Euro in UK

ban-all-sheds, the installers have agreed to make it right and have only charged me 50% of the cost until that has been done. Unfortunately, they don't seem to know how to make it compatible. Prior to me agreeing the sale, the salesman contacted the technical department at Hormann who gave him instructions on how to use the receiver in my existing Merantic electric mechanism to enable the existing remotes, and my fitted car remote to control the new door (via the push button connections). The installer followed Hormann's instructions, but they didn't work and after a number of calls to Hormann techies, was told it wasn't possible! So, the seller/installer of the door has acted in good faith and is still keen to make it right. Prior to agreeing to the sale, I had done my own research regarding Hormann doors and compatibility with my car system and this universal receiver was recommended to me by the company that manufactured the car transmitter (Home Link). Hence, I'm simply passing on details to the installer, but I want to make sure it is done correctly and to my satisfaction :)

Sponsored Links
euro-to-uk-visitor-adaptor.jpg
These adaptors hold the transformer much better than the shaver type adaptor I googled "Euro to UK plug adaptor" then went to pictures to find one. As to using a German socket in the UK you are correct BS7671:2008 does not permit there use because you can reverse line and neutral but BS7671:2008 is not law you don't have to follow what it says. I have seen many German sockets inside equipment for plugging in laptops etc.

You can fit one, however a scheme member electrician can't fit one as he has signed to say he will follow BS7671:2008 but a non scheme member can fit one. As said if on a final ring you may also need a FCU or something to have a fuse.

An extension lead is what I used as shown here but I did not pay that for one
313Z5iX4kNL._SX425_.jpg
mine looks just the same bought it in Turkey on holiday and cut it in half and fitted 4 UK sockets to the plug and UK plug to the sockets.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the specifications for the supply of 12 - 30V AC or DC at 30mA minimum, the power almost certainly goes straight into a bridge rectifier in the receiver and thence to a voltage regulator, so just using a replacement plug-in supply of suitable rating would probably be by far the easiest. Just keep the original power unit stashed away in case you ever have to send the unit back under warranty.

But if really wanting to keep the original European supply, don't both MK and Crabtree make a Schuko socket which fits a standard U.K.- size box? (A deep one, obviously.)

Why wont it fit Winston?
I have used those adapters with those type converters and they do indeed fit well - you arrange it so that the wire end of the adapter is pointing away from the converter pins. I have one right in front of me for my external USB drive.

Here - here is a pic of how they do fit.
europlug4.jpg

With the adapter on IMO they work very well and would solve the OP's problem about powering his kit.

Although they fit europlugs they often don't fit power supplies. Looks like you found one that does.

That one linked appear to as well, the little inserts that grip the flying plug can be removed for the adapter type.
Although given the postage I'd be inclined to try my local retailers or ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Euro-...408174?hash=item35f3ac16ae:g:U3QAAOSwFNZWxFXl
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...hash=item463e83cb14:m:myzM90EG3LvgFyx4jSaAbZA
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Euro-to-U...hash=item2ee41e933e:m:mcYgH0rRW22hZNm1sF7B3GQ

A simple email to the supplier to confirm that it fits should be enough.

IMO there is no need for going silly with shaver sockets etc. for 2 pin plugs. These converters are widely used for adapters in a lot of equipment these days, my phone charger, my razor, the wifes razor, computer peripherals. They are fused and (say that they) meet the BS std.

I need to buy a few more so I dont keep pinching them from other kit.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
LOL The pins are completely the wrong shape and dimensions! Do not buy anything from that link! What a disaster. Euro plugs aren't supposed to fit shaver sockets, the pins are too small and the step between the metal pin cap and the plastic part will often cause them to get caught on the shaver sockets shutters.

I suppose the European socket could be connected to an existing ring or socket circuit via a fused spur unit.

Thank you everyone for your input, it has been very useful and has provided me with a number of ways to solve my problem. I'll let you know what I eventually go for as I need to discuss with the door fitters, but it will be one of the following:

1. A replacement UK 3 pin adapter rather than the 2 pin shown on their website (this is dependant on the response I get from my email to Home Link).
2. A fused adapter from TLC (thanks mattylad for the photo showing that this solution probably will work).
3. A European Schuko socket and a Fused Spur.

Although the idea of using a European 2 pin socket was originally my preferred solution, as this would have to be connected to a FSU that makes it the most expensive option. I'm now thinking a standard extension socket with either of options one or two would be easier and cheaper to install and I'm sure the fitters will go for the cheapest solution.

Just to let you know the HomeLink Universal garage door receiver arrived on Friday. It came with 4 different types of plugs, which slid onto the body of the plug, so no problem using the supplied UK 3 pin plug.
Very neat piece of kit, well designed, easy to assemble and install, however, despite the simple programming instructions, wasted most of the weekend trying to get my HomeLink car transmitter to communicate with it. Tried so many times that my car battery went flat and had to be re-charged overnight. Pulling my hair out and then just as I had given up, it worked!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back