2 pin round Euro in UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just had a Hormann garage door installed and unfortunately, despite the installer confirming they would be able to make it compatible with my factory fitted car Home Link transmitter, they haven't been able to do this. I'm therefore suggesting they purchase a 2-Channel Universal Receiver model PR433-4

However, this comes with a 2 pin round euro adapter. My concern is how this would be connected up to my garage electricity supply as I believe these types of plugs used in the UK break building regulations.

Am I talking rubbish? I really don't want to have a 3 pin socket with a 2 pin adapter, plus this huge adapter plugged into the 2 pin adapter - all sticking out 8 inch from the wall and sagging due to its weight. Is there a better way to connect this receiver? Would it be possible to install a Euro 2 pin faceplate and avoid the need for the 3 to 2 pin adapter? (an extension socket will be required to ensure this is fitted near the front of the garage).

At the end of the day, the garage door fitter will be installing it, but I want to make sure they do it properly as they have already disappointed me by not doing what they said they would do i.e. making it compatible with my old car remote.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Depending on small print conditions of the garantee you could use any UK plug top power module that provides 12 volt AC or DC and at least 30 mA.

Hi securespark, I haven't seen one of those before and may just be the thing I need. It's difficult to determine if it would accept the bug, chunky adapter that comes with the receiver.
My preferred option would be to use a Euro 2 pin faceplate that could be fitted to an extension socket. If this is even possible, I'm not sure what the implications are in terms of earthing.

Sponsored Links
Bernard, I would be amazed if removing the power adapter that comes with the receiver wouldn't invalidate the warranty. I've already sent an email to Home Link asking if they supply the receivers with UK 3 pin plugs and when they say no (they aren't shown on their site, so I suspect they don't), I will ask about replacing the adapter.

The manual specifies the supply as
TECHNISCHE DATEN
Schaltkontakt ....................................................5 A max.28V AC/DC
Versorgungsspannung ..............12 - 30 V~ / 12 - 30 V @ 30 mA

which implies that either the power unit supplied has random output or that other power supply units can be used

EDIT The English version is the same.

The power module in the picture looks remarkable like a Stontronics PSU

Going by the size of the case and the low 30 mA output required it is probably a would transformer with AC output. Using a compact switch mode supply might compromise the wireless reception due to the RF noise that switch mode supplies produce

Last edited:
flameport, thanks for the link to the UK supplier. Unfortunately, the receiver is still supplied with a 2 pin euro plug, they just also include an adapter, which as I said, isn't really my preferred option.

Either fit a socket appropriate to the adaptor,

Do you know where I can get a 2 pin round socket from?

the receiver is still supplied with a 2 pin euro plug, they just also include an adapter

Check that as there is a version of that PSU case ( or one that looks like it ) where the two pins plug unclips from the body and can be replaced by a UK three pin plug.

Is there any reason the OP could not fit a shaver socket? I'm sure they accept euro plugs as well as the UK shaver plug.

flameport, thanks for the link to the UK supplier. Unfortunately, the receiver is still supplied with a 2 pin euro plug, they just also include an adapter, which as I said, isn't really my preferred option.

Either fit a socket appropriate to the adaptor,

Do you know where I can get a 2 pin round socket from?

Quick trip to Calais.

Or ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGRAND-7...EL-10-16A-EURO-US-1-GANG-SOCKET-/371545290845

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi, I've just had a Hormann garage door installed and unfortunately, despite the installer confirming they would be able to make it compatible with my factory fitted car Home Link transmitter, they haven't been able to do this. I'm therefore suggesting they purchase a 2-Channel Universal Receiver model PR433-4.
If they do what you suggest, and there are any problems, they'll be able to wash their hands of them.

They said they would make it compatible, so that's what they must do, and you can withhold payment until they do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back