UK Plugs and Sockets Regulations

Sponsored Links
Recently bought an MK outlet, that had MADE IN THE UK written on it. The quality to be fair didn't seem any better to the usual Chineese crap you get from places like Wilko though.
It's probably worth pointing out that /MADE IN THE UK' means that the last manufacturing process was carried out here. The front plate moulding will be Chinese, as will the moulding at the back. The manufacturing process will consist of riveting the metal parts to clamp everything together.

A far cry from when Wylex were made in Manchester where they made everything from raw materials

A far cry from when Wylex were made in Manchester where they made everything from raw materials

I still drive past that factory a occasionally, in fact worryingly I have not noticed it a while, I hope it is not pulled down.

I am sure the last I knew is the factory was still operating but not under the Wylex name.

Sponsored Links

Dorman smith as well (....made in preston I think) Some of the doors on those 3phase loadmaster boards could be re-used as armour plating :LOL:

You will have to ask greedy people like Dyson.
And of course every single person who ever got into the habit of buying imported goods instead of domestic when they wanted a motorbike that started every time (even, shock horror, with an electric start), or a car which didn't break down all the time, or.. or.. or..

Long before the greedy Dysons and the Margaret Thatchers of this world polished them off, UK Industry Ltd had done a damned fine job of driving itself into extinction by making lousy products.

It wasn't Red Robbo who did for BL - it was the fundamentally appalling design of the products, and the attitude of the companies to investment and quality. Do you know that it was once a matter of pride within Land Rover that there was such a long waiting list for their vehicles in export markets? Well, guess what happened when people could have a Toyota tomorrow or a Land Rover in 6 months.

A visit to site was part of our training 36 years ago (also Trawsfynydd, Festiniog, Fiddlers Ferry and Agecroft power stations)

The factory appears to still be there, but is now apart of Siemems but does anybody know if they still make Wylex consumer units there?

In case anybody is interested, here is old Wylex factory, I remember it used to say Wylex on it.

No idea if it is apart of Siemems now though.

It wasn't Red Robbo who did for BL - it was the fundamentally appalling design of the products, and the attitude of the companies to investment and quality. Do you know that it was once a matter of pride within Land Rover that there was such a long waiting list for their vehicles in export markets? Well, guess what happened when people could have a Toyota tomorrow or a Land Rover in 6 months.
I quite agree.

I have said before that British management was/has been crap for decades.

I would class British companies taking jobs abroad as bad management. The Japanese companies in Britain do well and that's not the same as paying the Indian or Chinese £1 a week.

My point about Dyson is that he is taking advantage of cheap labour abroad, as have many companies, but still charges the same for the products (unless, of course, they would be even more ridiculously expensive).
Yes, I know about supply and demand but that is also greed on his part.

Just went round the entire factory on streetview and it appears it is an Electrium factory, so I am guessing it is still making consumer units.

Just went round the entire factory on streetview and it appears it is an Electrium factory, so I am guessing it is still making consumer units.
"Making", or assembling from imported plastic enclosures, imported busbars and imported MCBs?

Not the ones I use: not sure if they're the same brand.

The ones I buy are good quality where the euro or schuko plug pins snap in satisfyingly tight.

http://www.connevans.co.uk/store/vi...AFFD129D85458473C7E03DDF2A?id=1650239[/QUOTE]
Look good but how would you plug a Wallmart into that? Others on same page yes
429806.gif
but the problem is even when they do have a recess which stops earthed plugs from being used with non earthed sockets and offers some support for the non earthed types one still has a lot of weight at some distance from the wall hanging on the socket. Same the earth type these
410ogjO5ZGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
also allow you to plug in but it the weight of the Wallmart which is the problem.
What I have done is when on holiday I have bought sockets like on the end of this
R2427520-01.jpg
cable to plug Wallmarts into so they are not dangling from a socket. But the cable from RS at £3.59 plus a plug £1.99 again RS price and likely for same you could buy a Wallmart for use in UK socket for same price from some China product retailer so is it really worth it? With my Ham Radio yes I want to use genuine power supply but with a USB hub no think I would get a Wallmart with UK plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back