Diagram review for Bathroom Re-Install

Lovely feeling when you turn the trip back on and it all just works!! I'm seriously considering retraining as an electrician, very satisfying (although I guess after your 3rd/4th install it all becomes a bit monotonous?

All good otherwise from my pictures? I used 1.5mm cabling throughout and didn't scrimp, I even bought proper switch wire (2 browns) lol.

Sponsored Links
Lovely feeling when you turn the trip back on and it all just works!! I'm seriously considering retraining as an electrician, very satisfying (although I guess after your 3rd/4th install it all becomes a bit monotonous?
Not necessarily. I've been getting work experience with a spark for the last 18 months and still enjoying it although finding out that there is still loads to learn. Would love to give up my real job and do this instead. :cry:

All good otherwise from my pictures? I used 1.5mm cabling throughout and didn't scrimp, I even bought proper switch wire (2 browns) lol.
In future you can just use sleeving. Helps to identify the cores at the end of a long install if they're different colours. ;)

Don't forget to add one of these stickers to your CU...

Not necessarily. I've been getting work experience with a spark for the last 18 months and still enjoying it although finding out that there is still loads to learn. Would love to give up my real job and do this instead. :cry:

I'll bet, keep up the good work and I'm sure you can do soon! Seems like a nice earning career once you've qualified and bought the appropriate testing equipment.

In future you can just use sleeving. Helps to identify the cores at the end of a long install if they're different colours. ;)

Good thought although I would rather use the proper sleeved cabling as added sleeving can come off - I can then identify which wire is which using my multimeter test, or even before connecting the wire to anything, connect a 9v battery to it and measure the polarity at the other end, that'll identify which is which.

Don't forget to add one of these stickers to your CU...

Nice, good idea - thanks mate! :D

Just to say thanks to all for their help/assistance with the electrics for this bathroom, I'm very pleased with the result, thanks for those that helped!!

I did all labour in this bathroom, floor, tiling, electrics, plumbing, drainage...just over 2 months work in the evenings!

The LEDs around the bath are remotely controlled via a battery remote control and a receiver unit in the loft.

How it looked when I started...

How it looks now...

Sponsored Links
Looks very nice but FFS, put the bog seat down!! :D

Lol thanks Gary, I'm really pleased. Regarding the seat, do you mean in the photo of the original bathroom? I daren't touch that manky seat, let alone move it :D

Think he means the lid, and in the new bathroom :)

Looks nice though, (the bathroom, not the lid!) :D

Yes, the lid!

It's surprising how much goes into a full bathroom refit after doing the same thing myself a couple of months ago.
It's very rewarding though.

Think he means the lid, and in the new bathroom :)

Looks nice though, (the bathroom, not the lid!) :D

Haha, I'll remember for the next photo shoot :D

Very rewarding isn't it guys, took a long long time to get there but well worth it. Overall cost of materials for the bathroom (everything you can see) is £1770, if I had paid someone for the labour I think I would be looking at well over £3k.

I had to strip of all of the old plaster from the walls, then reline with concrete board prior to the tiling, well worth the effort as the walls now feel solid.

Schmill RE your PM, the LEDs are just a basic set from B&Q, 10 x 15mm LEDs for about £25 in blue or white, really good value, the transformer unit actually allows you to mix/match so you could alternate :D They're IP44 rated for zone 1 too so safe to use in the bath panel, plus they're only 12v anyway.

The mirror was from a chap based in Frome but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company, it was about £150 or so and includes the demister, the wave sensor and the LEDs, there is a version with shaver built in but I wasn't too bothered about that so went without.

Let me know if you need any help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back