Tut Tut Timpsons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance for the rant but....

I went into my local Timpsosn earlier in the week to buy an umbrella. However, at £15 this was quite expensive and having not used it i decided to return it (with receipt). However, I was told that they do not do refunds and would only replace it if there was a problem with it. I thought this a bit strange so called their customer service line who confirmed that full refunds are available on any product that has not been used and has a receipt.

Unfortunately, themanager at the this branch of Timpsons questioned my reasons for returning the item. In fact, he went so far as to say that I was lying about having not used the item, and that I had taken a liberty in phoning the customer service team. Whilst he did finally and reluctantly refund my £15 I was very disappointed with both his attitude and his accusations.

Rant over!

Sponsored Links
Errm, couldn't you have decided it was too expensive before you bought it. Quite frankly, I think you are taking the ****.

The point is not what I paid for it, or why I returned it. The point is that if a business has a returns policy, it is not for the manager to them make up his own policy, or indeed accuse the customer of lying. Also, if a business has a customer service line, the customer should not be accused of taking liberties by phoning it, what is it there for?

If you bought a pair of shoes, then saw another pair your prefer, you would expect to be able to return the first pair, un-worn, and get a refund. No?!

No, not really, unless you bought them by mail order and decided you didn't like them when they arrived or you found that they were not fit for the purpose within a 'reasonable' time.

To return something you have bought because you think it was too expensive is ridiculous and the manager was right to question your motives.

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
To return something you have bought because you think it was too expensive is ridiculous and the manager was right to question your motives.

No he wasn't. Managers, any manager has to follow companies policy on returns, whatever the managers' own opinion is. Companies policy is to accept returns who haven't be used and with receipt.
Even if manager doubted that item was used, correct customer service i.m.o. would have been to accpet the brolly and receipt and give customer money back.

Result of attitide of manager now is that he has lost a customer.

My 2p ;)

you should have been able to take it back as that is their policy and the manager should have been polite and not questioned your motives however I agree with Igorian in that you knew the price when you bought it so how can you complain or be unhappy about the price and you shouldn't have taken it back and anyway its nearly summer so you shouldn't need a brolly ;)

As I say, complaint wasn't about the price (although £15 in my pocket is better than in someone's till). The point was about the deviation from policy and attitude of the manager.

Agree that I shouldn't need a brolly - think I'll have to move somewhere hot

do they have a no quibble returns guarantee? If not then they are perfectly within their right legally not to give refunds unless the item is found to be faulty or not usable for the purpose it was bought for.

I do think that you're pushing it a little with the umbrella but I have also had a big problem with Timpsons that has not yet been resvolved.

I took my shoes in for a re-sole and the idiots managed to get the black paint they use on the edge all over the upper. When I pointed this out to the guy he said come back later and he would polish it off. When I returned he had got the paint off but managed to put deep scratches all over the uppers. He has ruined a pair of my work shoes that cost £195.

They still have them and I'm waiting for the customer service dept to pull their finger out.

My advice: Steer clear of Timpsons.

mg_graham said:
However, at £15 this was quite expensive and having not used it i decided to return it (with receipt).

and

"If you bought a pair of shoes, then saw another pair your prefer, you would expect to be able to return the first pair, un-worn, and get a refund. No?!"

GRC - Well, no I wouldn't. As a general principle, I don't see any reason the first retailer should be obliged to spend their valuable time & money dealing with returned goods merely because the customer changed their mind about something that they should have decided upon before purchase.

Don't you think you should have decided - before the purchase - whether you thought the goods too expensive or not?

If you signed contracts to buy a house, and before you'd moved in, the house two doors along came on the market at a lower asking price than the one you'd bought, would you expect the first house's vendors to refund your money so's you could buy the second one?

If you bought a new car, and two days later found another dealer with the same model & spec at £1000 less, is the first dealership obliged to refund your money and take the car back because you changed your mind?

Or would the result in both instances be hearty laughter and a shake of the head....?

Why should the Timpson dealership have to spend time & money dealing with a return caused by you merely changing your mind about something you should really have decided upon before purchase?

... and why should the first shoe retailer have to spend time & money dealing with your returned shoes just because you found the pair you REALLY wanted after you'd visited their store?

Regards, Graham

He has ruined a pair of my work shoes that cost £195.

Sounds like you can afford to buy mg-graham his umbrella and shut him up. :LOL: Although he'd porbably take it back and try to claim the fifteeen quid for himself, the tight g*t.

nstreet said:
He has ruined a pair of my work shoes that cost £195.

Sounds like you can afford to buy mg-graham his umbrella and shut him up. :LOL: Although he'd porbably take it back and try to claim the fifteeen quid for himself, the tight g*t.

I splashed out on a pair of hand made shoes for the office using the reasoning that I could keep getting them re-soled and they would last for years. How wrong I was!

Sponsored Links
Back