Problem in Oil Pipe To Tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys. I would appreciate some advice.

I got my Worcester Boiler Man out because the Boiler wentinto lock out.

He pulled the oil from the Tiger Loop which is just outside the Garage and now the Tiger Loop is empty.

We have been down to around minus eight here in Wales, and the Worcester Engineer reckons that the oil is frozen in the pipe.

So he has toodled off leaving the boiler top off and every now and again I press the lit up lock out button to try and start up.

Could some kind person advise me if the oil in the pipe might have frozen, or perhaps might it be the Tiger Loop.....or even something else?

All I know is that at the moment we don't have hot water or heating, (Using electric fires at the moment) and with the cold, plus it's the weekend...it looks like we are likely to be in the poo for a while.

My Wife and I are retired...so at home most of the while.

Sponsored Links
The kerosene certainly wont be frozen, but if there is any water in the line then it could be.
I'd start by having a look at the filter at the tank valve first - if there is a bowl beneath, this is where the water should be.
John :)

The kerosene certainly wont be frozen, but if there is any water in the line then it could be.
I'd start by having a look at the filter at the tank valve first - if there is a bowl beneath, this is where the water should be.

Thank you for this quick reply. It's 9 o clock at night now...so I will have a look to see what I can see in the morning.

In the meantime I will keep pressing the Lock Out button and live in hope.

Cheers

Boozercruiser.

Don't overdo the lockout button fella - the oil pump is lubricated by kerosene passing through it. If it doesn't come to life after a couple of attempts, its time to call in the cavalry.

Sponsored Links
Don't overdo the lockout button fella - the oil pump is lubricated by kerosene passing through it. If it doesn't come to life after a couple of attempts, its time to call in the cavalry.

O.K. Thanks for that. I will leave it overnight then.....and have a look at that filter situation in the morning. :)

Hello Burnerman and anyone who can help a poor cold pensioner :LOL:

I looked and took photo's of the connections as enclosed. I cannot see any filter though :confused:

The temperature for the last two days has been above 4 degrees....I have been hairdrying the exposed pipes and had them covered with garded cushions.

I have been thinking of buying a more expensive Tiger Loop(I did a Google) which also has a filter chamber underneath the unit shown. My Wife worked for Travis Perkins and gets a lot of things cost price plus 5 per cent...and I guess that they sell them.

Obviously if I do that I will have to get the expensive Cavalry in to fit it and draw the oil up whilst trying to avoid the Cowboys. :)

Bang goes a coupla weeks pension! :cry:

Can you kindly advise me if I should go for this? Or might it clear anyway as the temperatures are above freezing now? Or is there another way.

The Tank bottom is around 9 feet from level and the 10 inch pipe has to travel about 44 foot from Oil Tank to the Tiger Loop.

P.S. I have clicked show my images...but I can't see them :confused:

Good pics!
I must confess I don't recognise that particular tank valve - others will know - but there seems to be a small bowl just downstream from the sight tube?
I think, by looking at your installation, an Oftec man would use an oil syringe to suck oil right from the tank to the burner before trying for light up.....thats a fair old way for a pump to be drawing fuel from dry.
I'm sure you don't have a freeze up by now - just water maybe or an airlock.

Good pics!
I must confess I don't recognise that particular tank valve - others will know - but there seems to be a small bowl just downstream from the sight tube?
I think, by looking at your installation, an Oftec man would use an oil syringe to suck oil right from the tank to the burner before trying for light up.....thats a fair old way for a pump to be drawing fuel from dry.
I'm sure you don't have a freeze up by now - just water maybe or an airlock.

Hi John...thanks for reply. In respect of the Worcester 18/25 Condencing Boiler we have only had it for just over 2 years. We are lucky in so much as we have a 5 year guarantee.

During the Worcester Engineers try at a fix he even put a new burner in.
He bypassed the lock out to try and draw the oil through, and I think it was that which caused the Tiger Loop to empty. So at least I know that any problem regarding freeze is not between the Tiger Loop and the Boiler.

Also, I guess that if the Tiger Loop is empty (it was full before he started) to me it points to the Tiger Loop working properly?

Obviously his duty regarding my problem is to establish if the problem is the Boiler or something else. He is telling me that the Boiler is O.K. so regarding the Guarantee I am now on my own.

He did say though to give him a call if I am still in a problem early in the week. Perhaps he is up for a cash payment outside of his normal working hours to get the oil up from the tank, or sort out the probem.

I guess the Worcester Engineer would have and be able to use that strynge you talk about John?

Best Regards

Boozercruiser (Kenny).

P.S. I have just uploaded another photo....the small bowl you mention....is that the one with the screw up just underneath the main bits of coupling?

P.S.....thanks for the mention regarding the photos....digital cameras are wonderfull.

The filter on these is not in a bowl but just in front of shut off wheelhead there is a hexagonal nut. Undo and a small cylindrical mesh filter is contained up inside. The mesh can be a pig to replace, bit will go back with care.

Hi Kenny
The bowl thing I'm on about is immediately down stream from the plastic oil sight tube - I guess it has a hexagon there so you can get a spanner on to it?
The other knob is a shut off valve I think but as I've said I don't recognise this particular valve.
Be sure that you can turn the tank off before undoing anything!
I don't suspect any problem with the tiger loop at this stage, but I do feel your engineer guy has left you in the lurch.
Most engineers carry an oil syringe - its one of the cheapest bits of our kit!
Be lucky!

The other knob is a shut off valve I think but as I've said I don't recognise this particular valve.

It is indeed the shut off. Works like manual rad valve. Keep turning clockwise til' shut. Surprised you don't see these Burnerman, more popular than Atkinson's on older tanks our way.

THe problem with using a boiler manufacturer to mainteain your boiler is that they stop as soon as the fault is not connected to the boiler. :evil:

Worcester in particullar have bee proactive in trying to get householders like you to sign up with them rather than using the installer or other independent service company like mine, but as soon as the going gets tough they quote some nonsence from the small proint and walk away ...leaving the househoplder in the lurch!!

An Independent Service Company would continue his diagnosis back towards the oil tank and resolve the fault for the client :p

Most independent's can provider brak-down insurance (such as Blue-Fin / Aviva, whicxh is more comprehensive than manufacturer;s policies

I would serioulsy consider who maintains your boiler in future!!hope this helps!! (rant over!) ;)

It is indeed the shut off. Works like manual rad valve. Keep turning clockwise til' shut. Surprised you don't see these Burnerman, more popular than Atkinson's on older tanks our way.

Croslands and Atkinson's up here, most of the time!

Hey guys...thanks for help. But can you make this kiddy proof for me?
You know the first little pozidrive screw.....is this where I turn the oil off?
I gave it a little turn and then I noticed a little oil start to rise. I thought "Oh! *hit...stop!"

From left to right of the Tank outlet I have..................

1....The screw which screws into a like a grub screw I think
2.... Then underneath there is a nut.
The red button is what I press to show the oil tank level. At the moment around £800 worth of oil in the tank....so I don't want to turn the wrong one!

There are two/3 other jointing nuts which I don't think do anything.

I need 'An idiots guide to changing a Filter' book!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back