Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can replace 4ft fance panels with 5ft panels without it looking stupid. I want a taller fence but don't want to replace all the concrete posts. I think it may look a bit odd with the panels a foot taller than the posts. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
personaly i dont think it will work for two reasons one the strength of the panels may be compromised if you cant secure the extensions firmly[flexing that could break the pannels]
also the post needs to be deeper in the ground to support the larger pannels when the wind gets up

could you not just secure a batton to the post with cable ties attach trellis to the top

you can get these for wood bit wouldnt be suitable for concrete posts as the finns are desighned to dig into the wood but here they are any way

http://www.metpost.co.uk/extender.html

you may find this site handy any way ;)

Brianm said:
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can replace 4ft fance panels with 5ft panels without it looking stupid. I want a taller fence but don't want to replace all the concrete posts. I think it may look a bit odd with the panels a foot taller than the posts. Any ideas?
I have just done mine last week from 4' panel to 6' panel with ex-concrete post by building round it. I even surpised myself and it's very strong.

Will take a photo tomorrow to give you some idea, too dark to take picture now!

Sponsored Links
masona, nice fence, i like it, but are you going to "paint it" i was thinking if you dont they will turn that horrible silver grey colour.

when i put in my fence panels, first thing i did was paint them, and now with new fence i painted that too, (dont ask about old fence panels, lets just say act of god and wall) even easier now with that "lauging neigbour" spray fence paint

pity about the garden lights though ;)

breezer said:
masona, nice fence, i like it, but are you going to "paint it" i was thinking if you dont they will turn that horrible silver grey colour.
Funny enough the sun never on these fence panels because of my neighbour trees so it shouldn't dis-colour plus they are forest pine fence panel with a 15 years guarantee against rot but I will treat it in the future as you says I have seen them going a strange colour.
when i put in my fence panels, first thing i did was paint them, and now with new fence i painted that too, (dont ask about old fence panels, lets just say act of god and wall) even easier now with that "lauging neigbour" spray fence paint
We used to look after a nice elderly lady (now passed away) and she wanted a low fence to keep her happy, then new neighbour arrived thus a higher fence without being too unsociable and talk though the trellis !
pity about the garden lights though ;)
They are only there so I can go to my workshop when it's dark without tripping over ;)

Thanks for the photos it really does look impressive and has given me some ideas on how to address my little problem. thanks again.

I use forest pine fence panel ( not cheap but you get what you pay for ) the panel are 1.8m and not 6' panel, many people has been caught out if you're sliding it into ex-concrete post. So what I did is made a 1/2" batten screw to the both sides of the fence panel so this will hold it in position in the post, then use 140mm floor decking with a small square batten with screw to the decking on each side so you now have a low U shape then with a longer screw to screw it into the fence panel so this will cover the concrete post. The forest pine fence panel is ideal for this being small in length which make it easier to screw the decking onto it. Will need to make a bigger cap on top of the post. I have use a dpc on top of the post then use a forest pine cap post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back