Testing Pumps

Sponsored Links
when you say 1 of yours i pressume u have a thermal store or a really crap system. 1st check to see if you have 240ish volts. if u have . turn it up to max speed & u should feel it running. depending on the make & position u might be able to check the motor spindle 4 rotation.

They can work but with reduced torque.

I apply the "finger test" on the impeller!

With a wet finger near the edge of the impeller with about 50 grams force they should still start and run!

With about 150 grams force applied it probably will not start and will stop!

Tony

Thanks guys

Bab - That's how I think one is kaput as both pumps are turned to max (they are Grundfos pumps) but I can really only feel running vibration on one of them but I thought that was a very unscientific test but the simplest methods are sometimes the best.......

PS Yes it's a thermal store that ain't doing much storing

Sponsored Links
Plep :?: Pleb.surely :LOL: You can take out the large slotted screw on the end of the pump and turn the impeller with a smaller screwdriver.it may just be stuck

1 pumps water to the store from the boiler & the other pumps water out of the store to the rads. is the pump thats not working the boiler pump if the store not getting hot. if so is the boiler trying to run & what boiler is it.

bab said:
is the pump thats not working the boiler pump if the store not getting hot.

I think it's the pump on the return leg, sending water back to the boiler. The store isn't getting warm but the boiler isn't firing properly (on for 2 mins, off again saying it's reached temperature).

bab said:
what boiler is it.

Potterton Superima 30L

bab said:
1 pumps water to the store from the boiler & the other pumps water out of the store to the rads..

So the pump that's connect to the return pipework is pumping back to the boiler, through the boiler, and back to the store ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PS could I damage my boiler running with the pump not working ? Or even the one pump that is working ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back