new combi boiler installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear members,

I had Ravenheat HE 85T condensing combi boiler installed in my house last week. I have 8 radiators and I bath for hot water. Most of the pipework is old and only a few extensions/ replacements have been made with new radiators been added as well.

When the system was filled up, there were a few leaks which were fixed. The boiler manual says let the pressure after fill up be atleast 1 bar before starting it up. But still the pressure is below 1 bar and we don't think its leaking from anywhere. All the radiators were bled as well.

The trouble is when the boiler was started, it stays on for 10 seconds and then goes off again, come back on and off in 10 sec interval.

My installer (corgi registered) says the boiler is faulty. But he also reckons that the gas supply to the boiler is 15 mm and should be 22 mm according to new norms. But he says that should not stop the boiler like that every 10 seconds.

When I contacted Ravenheat they said they will have a look coming monday but said that if it is not a fault with boiler, they will charge me a callout fee.

Can anyone think of any other possible reason. the system has been drained as well a few times and refilled. My installer initially recommended chemical wash and not pressure wash but now also says that since the system has been drained out a few times, chemical wash is not necessary.

Having spent the coldest of winter without heat since last week, can anyone please suggest anything to solve this issue? Thankfully, we have an electric shower to help us survive so far.

I am in Basildon, Essex.

Thanks in advance,
psarinuk.

Sponsored Links
Some boilers behave like this when Line/Neutral polarity is reversed.

That is an idea. The installer is coming around tonight to have another go. I will ask him to check that as well.. Many Thanks..

Please keep your suggestions coming... as soon as I get this problem solved, I will update everyone with the solution.

Sponsored Links
Why are you thinking of calling Ravenheat out? Presumably your installer bought the boiler, so it is him who your contract is with. If he has installed a system which does not work insist that he gets it sorted out. Do not get involved in trying to fix the problem yourself or calling anyone else out. Once you interfere the installer could wash his hands of the matter.

Get the installer to correctly pressures the system - it must be in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations.

Also did the installer take a gas pressure reading at the boiler and at the meter and check the gas flow rate at the meter? (the latter may be difficult to do if the boiler keeps cutting out). That would show whether the gas supply pipe is undersized. For the past thirty years at least it has been normal practice for the gas supply to that size of boiler to be 22mm up to at least 2 metres of the boiler. That does not mean though that a 15mm pipe will not be adequate in practice - it does depend on the pressure available, lenth of pipe and route of pipe.

psarinuk said:
I had Ravenheat HE 85T condensing combi boiler installed in my house last week.

The trouble is when the boiler was started, it stays on for 10 seconds and then goes off again, come back on and off in 10 sec interval.

My installer (corgi registered) says the boiler is faulty.

When I contacted Ravenheat they said they will have a look coming monday but said that if it is not a fault with boiler, they will charge me a callout fee.

psarinuk.

So, I went to a local Ford dealer the other day to buy a brand new Focus

Drove my shiny new car 10 yards up the road and it broke down

Went back to the dealer and they said the car was faulty

I contacted Ford UK and they are sending an engineer to fix it at my expense

Its OK though because I have been using Taxis in the meantime

Get a grip man

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Your installer is taking the p*ss

Hope you have not paid him yet

Get him back to fix it or replace it

Check out the Benchmark logbook. Has it been completed? If not, why not.

There is a good chance someone will end up paying for Ravenheat to come out. Boilers are factory tested so malfunction, while possible, may well be due to installation practice/ corner cutting or some such reason.

Last Ravenheat I fitted (long time ago), was supplied by the client. Despite tightening the gas union with Bacho spanners (and carrying out tightness test), a few days later there was a smell of gas. Called out Ravenheat. He must have applied a 10 foot spanner to the gas union. and I got a bill for £95.00.

Called Ravenheat to have words with them. The callout charge was quashed when I told them I was CORGI registered. Ravenheat want RGI to fit their appliance. Good PR

Hello all again, thanks for your replies, esp moss5. the boiler started working fine after the polarity of power wires was changed.

The issue I have is that my installer has gone AWOL. This is a new plumber/ installer (CORGI registered) and therefore was offering limited help only.

Now it seems everything is sorted, apart from a few soldering leaks in hot water supply to new taps.

What this guy is asking me to have done is:
1. Change the gas pipe to 22 mm supply from meter, which is a good 10 metres atleast.. He said thats the legislation and he can only certify the system after that.. he also reckons that boiler would be more effiecient if gas pipe is changed from 15 to 22 mm (my understanding says bigger the pipe, more gas usage but I may be wrong). Could someone plz clarify?

2. The flue and other things are OK according to him.

3. For more efficiency, he is highly recommending fitting TRVs to all the radiators (I already have new angled rad valves on all of them).

4. He is also advising to fit a room thermostat for more efficiency..

5. No chemical clean, only hot clean and adding inhibitor would prolong the life of heating sytem he reckons, is that OK?

According to him if I get this done, it would lead to more boiler efficiency and less gas bills, so I would like to know whether he is right and should I bear the extra expense to get this done?

Thanks in advance!!

What this guy is asking me to have done is:
1. Change the gas pipe to 22 mm supply from meter, which is a good 10 metres atleast.. He said thats the legislation and he can only certify the system after that.. he also reckons that boiler would be more effiecient if gas pipe is changed from 15 to 22 mm (my understanding says bigger the pipe, more gas usage but I may be wrong). Could someone plz clarify?

Due to the length changing to 22 mm is very reasonable and should be undertaken. Obviously the boiler will perform better when it receives the full pressure of gas needed. Gas pressures are checked when installing boiler

2. The flue and other things are OK according to him.

Obviously your first Corgi Reged installer was a complete XXXX when Moss5 immediately gives the answer to your prob on here!!!Unfortuneately Corgi Reg is a complete joke as are the training/examination processes.

3. For more efficiency, he is highly recommending fitting TRVs to all the radiators (I already have new angled rad valves on all of them).

Good Idea

4. He is also advising to fit a room thermostat for more efficiency..

Excellent idea - no boiler should be fitted without!!

5. No chemical clean, only hot clean and adding inhibitor would prolong the life of heating sytem he reckons, is that OK?

Good idea

Appears your whole installation could do with a good makeover what with leaks etc

If Moss5 can immediately give you the answer here it does not say much for your Corgi reged. installer. Unfortunately Corgi Reging in respect of competence is quite meaningless as are the examinatioon/ training

Your original installer should have fitted at least some TRV's and also a room thermostat. This is required by the Building Regulations which are a legal Document and therefore Mandatory. You obviously wont get any joy from the original installer though as he has gone AWOL.

Under the Building Regs you become responsible for these though. They do make sense, particularly the room stat. Have it done now and gain immediate benefit.

I doubt that the original installer is CORGI registered.

He has a resposibility to provide a gas supply to give the required pressure at the boiler.

If he refuses to put it right, you can report him to CORGI who will visit and issue a defects notice and require him to put it right!

Tony

your original installer doesnt appear to know much about the requirements of fitting a gas appliance are you sure he was corgi registered. He certainly knows nothing about pipe sizing or the part L regs.
report him to corgi.

there is no spoon

or there is no corgi registerd installer it was you that fitted it wasnt it eh eh come on we see this all the time

oh i cant seem to get the original installer to call back and fit my boiler properly :LOL:

your having a larf m8 eh eh ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back