Make an opening for french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a project to convert a building into 2 flats. I would like to open up the 9" wall on the ground floor to put in some 1800 X 2100 French windows( see picture).

Is this a straight forward job? - I appreciate it will need building regs. and the lintel will need to be sized accordingly.

How long would it take to do?

Sponsored Links
3 acrows and strong boys. One lintel 2100mm. Some shuttering ply to fit the opening. Grinder, breaker and skip

Should take 2-3 days . Cut the opening 20mm bigger than the doors, width and height. Insert the strongboys at equal thirds. Insert lintel. You may have to brick up the bearings. A concrete block or cut down pre-stressed lintel will do. Pack the lintel till level then mortar in.

The finishing is dependant on what is there (looks like painted brick in your photo)

When fitting the doors make sure they are spot on level all the way round and also check the diagonals.

Good luck

Thanks for your very helpful post.

cheltonian said:
3 acrows and strong boys.

I've been having a look on the web regarding these supports. So basically you only need to use a support on 1 side of the wall? Presumably these can also be used at 1st floor level?

Some shuttering ply to fit the opening.
To keep the elements and undesirables outs?

I've got a 9" grinder will that do or should I hire a wall cutter (I have a few openings to make)
http://www.hss.com/g/7131/Wall_Cutter__Low_Dust.html

I've a Makita SDS drill .... ok for a job like this?

Should take 2-3 days . Cut the opening 20mm bigger than the doors, width and height. Insert the strongboys at equal thirds. Insert lintel. You may have to brick up the bearings. A concrete block or cut down pre-stressed lintel will do. Pack the lintel till level then mortar in.

1. Hammer in strongboys at equal thirds into mortar course.
2. Attach props to strongboys and tighten
3. Cut brickwork vertically 20mm bigger than doors (I assume this is for door lining?)
4. Knock brickwork out using breaker
5. Place lintel into opening under the strongboys
6. Pack the underside of the lintel on the bearings with slate and almost dry mix of 2 part sharp sand and 1 part cement
7. Use dry mix and press firmly into the small gap between the top of the lintel and the brickwork above it.
8. Leave mortar to set (a week?)
9. Remove strongboys and props.
10. Make good the gaps with dry mix.

(Have a cup of tea .... been a busy morning :LOL: )

Good luck
Cheers I've got half a dozen openings to make not to mention a few to brick up!:cool:

Just to add I appreciate this is all pretty standard - so if anyone knows a step by step guide online preferbably with pictures :)

Better still a video online?

I've heard the Collins DIY book is very good but I dont have a copy of the book :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you got planning permission (assuming its a change of use)?

Type of lintel will be dependant on location and load.

Static said:
Have you got planning permission (assuming its a change of use)?

Type of lintel will be dependant on location and load.

Yes, PP for two flats.

The opening will be at ground floor. It's an external wall, it supports 300mm timber joists and at 1st floor 9" brick wall and a flat roof.

Did my step by step summary look OK?

Static said:
Your method list looks ok.
Have you got the lintel sizes sorted?

Not yet - I've had a look on the a couple of lintel manufactures websites. I intended on giving the their technical helpline a call and seeing what they recommended.

Edit: Just looking at my own picture again it looks like the load not be as large as I first thought because the joists must run parallel to the wall I want to knock down (Based on the direction of the steel in the pic)

Monsoon said:
Not yet - I've had a look on the a couple of lintel manufactures websites. I intended on giving the their technical helpline a call and seeing what they recommended.

Edit: Just looking at my own picture again it looks like the load not be as large as I first thought because the joists must run parallel to the wall I want to knock down (Based on the direction of the steel in the pic)

Sounds like a plan.

Monsoon said:
Just to add I appreciate this is all pretty standard - so if anyone knows a step by step guide online preferbably with pictures :)

Better still a video online?

I've heard the Collins DIY book is very good but I dont have a copy of the book :confused:

At the risk of answering my own question I found this very helpful step by step guide.

http://www.houseprofessionals.com/diy/brickwork/opening_a_wall.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back