Building Garden Shed - How many blocks required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maths was never my strong point at school and my block wall I built last year was pure guess work on the amount of blocks used. And then I came upon this site when researching how to build my new garden shed. wish I'd seen it before.

Can any of the forum members let me know how many blocks i would require to build my garden shed?

Dimensions are:

Size: 3m length x 2.5m Width x 2.1m Height
Concrete block size is 450mm Length x 100mm Width x 210mm Height

Thanks for your help.

Abzman

Sponsored Links
2.5m x 2.1m x 2 = 10.5m2

3.0m x 2.1m x 2 = 12.6m2

Total = 23.1m2

Concrete blocks size including mortar approximately = 0.104mm2

Therefore 23.1 divided by 0.104mm2 = 222 blocks minus any windows or doors.

An average door will need approximately less 16 blocks.

Have you thought about using pre-cast slab, nut/bolt instead?

Masona

Thanks for the information on the number of blocks to use. The formula to work it out is very helpful as well should my sizes change.

Your question on pre-cast slab, nut/bolt. The only reason I'm using the blocks is the fact my wall is still standing (and solid) after a year so I'd thought I give a shed a go. I think the principal is generally the same. A good level foundation to build from.

Pre-cast slab would this make the job easier for a novice, I'll get quotes to compare the prices of these against the blocks.

Cheers

I've paid slight second pre-cast £15 per panel (400mm x 2m) which has slight hairline cracks then covered it with T&G log cladding over it ;)
Approximately £30 new, quite easy to do with the sack trolley then nuts n bolts them together.

Sponsored Links
Finally got word back from my local council that I don't need planning permission or a building warrant for my Garden Shed. (I just wanted to be sure)

I'm going to stick with the building blocks as I've previously used these before.

I've got a few more questions if possible tha I need help with.

1. I've dug out some foundations about 3.5m length x 3m width x 300mm Depth - Is this enough?
2. How thick should my concrete base be?
3. Is a mixture of sand and gravel, cement ok for the base?

Thanks

Abzman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back