concrete footings advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
early in the new year will be start building block built shed in the garden (7m x 4m)

What size footings are required and how much concrete will be needed?

is it better to buy readymix and if so, what lengths can they deliver to as the she will be around 150ft from access.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ideally the foundation width should be 300mm wider than the wall being built upon it. this allows for a 150mm projection beyond the internal and external faces of the masonry.

a minimum depth would usually mean digging down 1m. this is provided the ground is suitable at this depth, if it is not, go deeper.

the concrete needs to be a minimum os 225mm thick, though it is sometimes cheaper to mass fill. if ground contours allow, you could even fill to within 1 block below damp, though this would be risky. it does not allow for drain gulleys etc.

hire a concrete pump. they can pump 6m3 in a matter of minutes.

a footing size 600mm wide, 600mm thick and 22m long would require 8m3 of concrete.

...or 14 tonnes of ballast, 94, 25kg bags of cement and a lot of water. :eek:

pumped readymix me thinks. ;)

a footing size 600mm wide, 600mm thick and 22m long would require 8m3 of concrete.

...or 14 tonnes of ballast, 94, 25kg bags of cement and a lot of water. :eek:

pumped readymix me thinks. ;)

how far can they pump it?

Sponsored Links
noseall is winding you up playa.
You can't pump concrete. Its far to stiff.
Use wheelbarrows instead. :)

You can pump it but the machine on a lorry is extremely expensive. You often see them on major construction projects. You can't pump it overly far though.

i have used rigid boom and flexible boom concrete pumps.

'first pump' of Tamworth will do it for £230.00 ish.

unless you need to go over a building then a ground laid flexi-boom is all you will need.

150 feet is nowt.
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back