Push Fit Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What's the general view on push fit fittings? I am re-fitting my kitchen next month and I am moving the washing machine out to the new extension so need to extend a cold water feed. Wickes have some copper push fit fittings that look quite neat, but how durable & leak proof are they?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the brass/copper push fits are good, used them myself without problems and builder down rd also uses that type.

Thats only if they are installed totally properly though! Tectite is the brand leader and I have no hesitation in using them.

I dont use the all plastic types much except on vented H&C supplies.

Tony

My preference is the Hep2o demountable range, because you can very quickly disassemble and adapt it. And you can take a fitting apart and feed the bits onto imperfect copper pipe that might otherwise nick an 'O' ring. You can even couple up pipework, one-handed, behind a panel, when necessary. ;)

For what it's worth, I've used push-fit since 1988, and Hepworth Acorn since 1999, and haven't had one single leak on any joint that I've made. I check every fitting before use, discard any faulty parts (grab rings mostly) and take them back to the supplier for replacement.

I've fixed leaks in other people's installations mind you - one example was the wholly inappopriate use of a 15mm Speedfit coupling, where the pipe was being forced behind a kitchen cupboard. It weeped for months until someone spotted the triffids growing out from behind the boxing in.

Tectite seems good so far, but is fairly new on the scene. Copper fetishists seem to like it because it isn't plastic, but the grab 'n' seal works on the same principle.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Tectite seems good so far, but is fairly new on the scene. Copper fetishists seem to like it because it isn't plastic, but the grab 'n' seal works on the same principle.

Many of us have seen plastic pushfit with a split body. that will not happen with the Tectite.

Also the plastic body softens at 130°C and will hold little pressure. Whereas the tectite will still hold the pressure at over 200°C until the "O" ring softens or disintegrates. Some boilers even have "O" ring joints into cast iron heat exchangers!

Tony

If you must use pushfit I'd go for original Tectite. They are also demountable with the simple tool. They have a sleeve to help center the pipe in the O ring. I've seen too many problems with Hep2o. The last lot I saw had fractured grab rings due to poor molding/sub-standard polymer.

Agile said:
Many of us have seen plastic pushfit with a split body. that will not happen with the Tectite.
I continue to be amazed that you think people will be duped by you writing "many of us", when in fact you haven't seen it yourself. :rolleyes:

Also the plastic body softens at 130°C and will hold little pressure. Whereas the tectite will still hold the pressure at over 200°C until the "O" ring softens or disintegrates. Some boilers even have "O" ring joints into cast iron heat exchangers!
Taking this to its logical conclusion, you'll now be using Tectite® wherever conditions permit, in preference to soldering, because it's so much quicker and doesn't introduce corrosive substances into pipework.

So, welcome to the world of push-fit. I'm sure you and Yorkshire™ will be very happy together.

so would you lads use them on ch aswell as hot water....yes i know they are not allowed on gas but what about wet side of ch??

I have no problem using a plastic pushfit on a VENTED system although personally I would normally use copper.

I generally only use soldered copper on sealed systems.

If I had a special need to use a pushfit on a sealed system then I would use Tectite ®.

Tony

I've used them on all sealed and open vented systems, also hot and cold pipework (mains) for many years and never had a problem.

I've also never seen a split body on a fitting.

I have recently moved to a property with sealed CH running in Heptite plastic. Allthough whoever installed it was good at knitting there is no sign of any problems. I think this installation is at least 5 years old.

denso13 said:
I've used them on all sealed and open vented systems, also hot and cold pipework (mains) for many years and never had a problem.

You are a very lucky man then.

Doctor Drivel said:
denso13 said:
You are a very lucky man then.
Him and me both then.

And do you know what? The more care I take, and the more skill I use when installing, the luckier I get. :D

Tectite professional or whatever they are called also keep the electrical continuity for bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back