multi purpose wet tile cutter

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is best here or in the tile section ??

Got a few porcelain tile to cut which I can’t do by hand so looks like I’m going to have to get a wet tile cutter. Since it’s only a few tiles and is unlikely to be used again or at least for many years am a bit reluctant to get one so was wondering if there is such a thing as a multi purpose tile cutter.

Out of interest how many meters of porcelain tile will a cheap 100mm diamond blade cut? The grit tools only seem to last a few inches.

The saw tables seem to have all the ingredients to make a table saw for cutting wood etc. Are there any cheapish ones out there that you could add different types of blade to in order to enable this. Would make it a more sound investment then.

Sponsored Links
The water cooling tends to muck up tabelsaws :cry: If you have a small angle grinder you could buy a diamond blade for that.

Or a cheap plasplug wet cutter from the sheds will do several bathroom/kitchens befor eit is worn out.

Jason

one has a large blade one has a small blade
one needs water one dosn't
one uses a wood cutting blade the other dosn't
one revs at high speed the other dosn't
one needs a large table the other dosn't
appart from that a good idea :D :D ;)

If you only have a few cuts why not take your tiles to a tile shop & get them cut. Wont cost much

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
1)one has a large blade one has a small blade
2)one needs water one dosn't
3)one uses a wood cutting blade the other dosn't
4)one revs at high speed the other dosn't
5)one needs a large table the other dosn't
appart from that a good idea :D :D ;)
1) Small table sawa have smaller blades than bigger table saws
2)Don't have to add water when not cutting tiles
3)Would change blade according to the usage
4)not sure
5) for small bits that you small table would be fine. My black & decker table is small but done lots on it.

Will have a think see about getting a tile shop to cut them.

ABN said:
The saw tables seem to have all the ingredients to make a table saw for cutting wood etc. Are there any cheapish ones out there that you could add different types of blade to in order to enable this. Would make it a more sound investment then.
As BA was trying to tell you - circular saws run at much, much higher speed than tile cutters - a typical 8in table saw spins the blade at around 4,500 to 5,000 rpm whereas a tile cutter runs at a few hundred rpm. The abrasive dust produced by tile cutters is normally washed out by running them wet, which also helps cool the cutting disc. If the discs overheat it can damage the tiles and the diamond grits will start to detach. Of course if you try liquid cooling a table saw you'll probably get electrocuted. So I, too, think it's not a very good idea - especially as cheap PlasPlugs cutters start in at around £35 and you can even hire them from some of the bigger tile retailers.......

Scrit

Scrit said:
As BA was trying to tell you - circular saws run at much, much higher speed than tile cutters - a typical 8in table saw spins the blade at around 4,500 to 5,000 rpm whereas a tile cutter runs at a few hundred rpm.
Most seem to run at about 3,000 rpm which seems to only be a little slower that typical Circular Saw and this one
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=56408&ts=06120#
runs at 6,000 which is faster than most Circular Saw

Scrit said:
Of course if you try liquid cooling a table saw you'll probably get electrocuted. So I, too, think it's not a very good idea - especially as cheap PlasPlugs cutters start in at around £35 and you can even hire them from some of the bigger tile retailers.......
Scrit
Wouldn't suggest running a dry table wet cause your right ... but a wet table could be run dry when cutting materials that didn't need cooling etc.

But seems that no such multi purpose table exists ... shame ... perhaps time to go and design one. Could make a fortune :)

i suspect as the lads in china indian and japan havent worked it out it may be a non starter :D :D ;)

big-all said:
i suspect as the lads in china indian and japan havent worked it out it may be a non starter :D :D ;)
Not so sure I'd want to cut MFC on a table saw which had been cutting tiles - strikes me that you'd never get the thing cleane enough to avoid scratching and that any wood dust would clog-up the extraction system...... Just another problem to solve, but then with basic tile saws running so cheap, why bother?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back