Are there really people this uneducated in this Country?

Sponsored Links
Anyone remember trading empty pop bottles for cash?

The good ole days.:)

I recall lads on the beach at Southend buying the empties for 2d and getting 3d when they took them to the shop. Saved people having to go back to the shop and helped to keep the beach free of abandoned bottles. Public service. On an average day it wasn't difficult to do 240 and make a pound. The good oe days when a pound was a lot of money.

I also recall one lad who got bottles from the yard behind the shop and took them to the shop for the refunds. ( NOT me I hasten to add )

As said it's all about what is used or not post school.

This isnt a one generation problem, In time spent working in a certain Diy warehouse as a student I find its wide range of age group who can't do basic calculation. I'm not convinced it modern schooling its just people forget stuff they don't use on regular basis.

Definitely schooling issue Stero. When schools decided they shouldn't do the 3R2 because it stifled creativity, that's when things started going downhill. Universities are having to run remedial courses because the students aren't up to standard, and business leaders are complaining that kids are coming out of school with a lack of the basics. Schools are pusing kids to pass the SATS so they can look good in the tables, but aren't bothering to make sure the kids have a long term grasp of what they've been taught. By daughters almost 16, and I had arguments with her primary school because they weren't bothering with her times tables, and their attitude was " don't worry, she'll have learnt them all by the time she leaves, except I'd learn them all in my first year at primary school.

You have to remember that "modern schooling" has been doing this to the kids for the last 25 years or so.

Sponsored Links
Most schools have always done it, but in my day (55 years ago), we sat there for half an hour each day reciting them. As attention spans are only about 30 seconds nowadays, they're not worked on for so long, and so easily forgotten.

Back