BG manslaughter charges.

The BBC news report on the todler boiled in her bed did not mention that currently sold immersion heaters now have a safety cut out!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I know one of the guys and the scary thing is that it could have been any one of us that was last man on site. There were more guys than just those two that visited the property, the others could prove they hadnt worked on appliance though.

We all have our fingers crossed for them both.

The BBC news report on the todler boiled in her bed did not mention that currently sold immersion heaters now have a safety cut out!

Tony

Had me confused for a moment then until i had a visit to general, there is still a lot out ther without highlimt though Tony. I actually have an idea for this sort of thing and reading about this tragic incident has prompted me to pull my finger out and push it.

Sad sad accident :(

Hospitals just turn around patients very often with out any investigation into symptoms.

I once went to a couples house to service and test appliances found fire spilling .the guy said oh that will explain why we get head aches when in this room ( POINT I AM GETTING AT THEY WERE BOTH DOCTORS) and could not diagnose them selves.

Sponsored Links
I did a repair in the house of an Ethopian Pathologist last year.

He said he came across several cases every year of CO poisoning and it turned the flesh bright pink!

Tony

And whose fault is it if the fitter was improperly trained . . . . . being Corgi registered does not mean you know everything about every gas appliance does it? Doesn't it just mean you know when to say "turn it off and leave it off".

Did he need any training for the work and had he received it?

It is a question I have been asked, under caution, in an accident investigation!

I think that ANYONE having to come back to ANY job in ANY field of endeavor has to ask themselves serious questions after visit 3 or 4..like 'what am I missing here..?'

Not referring to this case in particular, it is dangerous for anyone to develop a 'fixed idea' about either their own abilities or a particular job that they might be doing.

As a non-qualified but sensible person, I would have to suspect that a 'bodge' was in the making if someone has to come back 10 times. A product is made to function in a particular way and one either knows how it works or one doesn't and if one doesn't then leave it alone. If one does then it either gets repaired straightaway or after a LITTLE bit of trial and error OR - you call it a day and replace it.

With you Nick. If your experience + the manual + a call to the tech line leaves you feeling you aren't sure, it's time to say you aren't happy, make safe and go. Nobody should moan at you for that.
I would have hoped the knowledge would have been in BG somewhere, to be called on, though.
Not wishing to prejudge, I wonder if the guys did something like not replace a gasket because they didn't have it. They could have tested for leaks or whatever, presumably. Even so, we all make mistakes sometimes.

As a non-qualified but sensible person, I would have to suspect that a 'bodge' was in the making if someone has to come back 10 times.

Thats not always the case!

In large companies doing service work like BG and Home Service there are a number of employees who just want to get out as quickly as possible. I always expect this is to meet targets for the number of visits.

Instead of working to complete the repair however long that takes, as us independents have to do, they just say that the PCB or gas valve needs changing and they have to order it. That creates an excuse for a delay of another week. They then come back and fit it and find that it does not cure the fault and choose another part and a further week passes.

Tony

Firstly the ten visits can sound a lot worse than it is as it does not give any time period for these it could be over a number of years.
.As everyone agrees these are not the best of boilers so say it had broke down 4 times in 3 years this alone would probably result in 8 visits 4 attends then order parts then 4 revisits so there is eight visits straight away which may also have been jobs on the system which would not need the boiler to be touched..
As Petite has said only these 2 guys actually worked on the appliance others attended to the system.
Best wait and see what comes out and everyone LEARN from it

As far as I am aware(and I may have been informed wrongly), the leak of CO came from the flue outlet where it connects to the boiler, which on this boiler is in an extremely awkward place at the back of the unit.

Regulations require us on all visits when working on the appliance to check the flue as far as visibly possibly. Given that its easy to argue its not in view I would suspect they could get away with it.....but I still don't know the result so I would be interested to find out, and also hopeful for them.

As for bakers comments, I'm sorry but your wrong.

There's a lot of professional people on here with experience of this boiler. It's a dog in respect of reliability which is bad enough. However safety wise, its very poor, and you don't need to be a genius to work out why.

Things like fans and gas valves should be in a sealed case, and flue components should be highly resistant to corrosion. This has been overlooked with this pile of carp.
You only have to see the latest version and see that the entire top casing is now all of a sudden a sealed casing and the flue components are better quality....surprise??

Things like fans and gas valves should be in a sealed case

Alcohol made me word this wrong, sorry. what i meant is, if you look at the top part of this boiler where the fan and gas valve are you would expect this normally to be a sealed part of the boiler.

Heard on the BG grapevine that the last two engineers worked on/adjusted the gas valve pressures. Was also told the the main purpose of taking the guys to court was to give BG management a kick in arse, the hse are not very impressed with records/paperwork, quality control, on the job training/supervision and the general policy of pressure placed on staff too clear x amount of jobs a day at the sacrifice of safety. The only way they can roast the management is get the case into a court and expose the inadequacies. The company will come out off it far worse than the two engineers.

John

.The company will come out off it far worse than the two engineers.

John

i doubt it. the public has all but forgotten about it. any fine imposed would no doubt be drop in the ocean.

those two guys have a slim but real chance of doing time, i think that makes them worse off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back