P.C.Police...

Sponsored Links
That's a good idea, meanwhile:

Because the people, that those type of remarks are aimed at, find them offensive.
Ok. How do you combat that when the word is the name of their country?
Should the word 'Scot' be banned? If not then we must deduce that it is not the word '****' which is offensive but the users of the word, themselves.

Seriously please, while assuming tranny does not mean anything dreadful in Australia, how CAN it be considered offensive when the accepted description is transgender?
Does the same apply to lessie, gayey or biey?

Bear in mind, of course, that adding -y or -ie to a word or abbreviation is a very common habit in Australia - barbie, tinny, Warnie etc. and Pommie and Limey of course.

If you wish to continue to use words directed at people, that find such words offensive, especially when you know those words are offensive, one can only assume that you are being intentionally offensive.
Do I take it that you consider it possible (and therefore others must alter their behaviour) for any person to find any word offensive with no regard to the true intention or meaning?

If I consider all your words offensive, will you stop using them?

If you wish to continue to use words directed at people, that find such words offensive, especially when you know those words are offensive, one can only assume that you are being intentionally offensive.

If you find a word offensive then you do so by choice.

Sponsored Links
That's a good idea, meanwhile:

Because the people, that those type of remarks are aimed at, find them offensive.
Ok. How do you combat that when the word is the name of their country?
Does it matter what the word is?
If I say, "please don't use that word, because I find it offensive", and you continue to use it, knowing that I can't change what it is about me that you exploit to offend, and now knowing that I find it offensive, surely you are continuing to use it intentionally offensively. You are being intentionally offensive. If that's what rocks your boat................

Do I take it that you consider it possible (and therefore others must alter their behaviour) for any person to find any word offensive with no regard to the true intention or meaning?

If I consider all your words offensive, will you stop using them?
If I don't wish to be intentionally offensive, then, yes I will.
However, if I think you are just saying that to avoid, what I consider a reasonable description, then, No, I wouldn't stop using it.
For instance, if I called you a silly child, because I thought you were being childish. Then you told me you found it offensive, I'd suggest you stop being childish and I'll stop using it.
In other words, stop acting like the word I've used and I'll stop using it.
However, when you refer to someone by a characteristic which they cannot change, perhaps because it's a characteristic of their gender/sexuality/race/disability, etc, even though they have advised you that they find it offensive, and you continue to use it, you are being intentionally offensive.

But I would have thought the average intelligent person could have worked that out for themselves.

Last edited:

If you find a word offensive then you do so by choice.
Your choice to intentionally offend.
Normally words that people find offensive are exploitative words used to ridicule a characteristic that they cannot change. Usually, it's absolutely obvious what that characteristic is because you've been offensive in exploiting it.
If that's what rocks your boat........

Additionally, if you accuse someone of a heinous action, knowing full well that you have no evidence or even reasonable suspicion on which to base your accusation, you are being intentionally offensive.
So being offensive comes in many guises.
But you knew that all along, didn't you?

Yes, IT IS THE NAME OF THEIR COUNTRY.
Neither you nor they can avoid saying it.

If I say, "please don't use that word, because I find it offensive", and you continue to use it, knowing that I can't change what it is about me that you exploit to offend, and now knowing that I find it offensive, surely you are continuing to use it intentionally offensively. You are being intentionally offensive. If that's what rocks your boat................
Unless, as is the subject of the thread, that word is NOT offensive.

No, I am talking about words which are NOT offensive unless you choose to invent a spurious reason.

I said:
Did you avoid answering that

However, if I think you are just saying that to avoid, what I consider a reasonable description, then, No, I wouldn't stop using it.
Is that not what I have been saying?

For instance, if I called you a silly child, because I thought you were being childish. Then you told me you found it offensive, I'd suggest you stop being childish and I'll stop using it.
It was 'child' I found offensive.
However, when you refer to someone by a characteristic which they cannot change, perhaps because it's a characteristic of their gender/sexuality/race/disability, etc, even though they have advised you that they find it offensive, and you continue to use it, you are being intentionally offensive.
That is true - but not if they are being intentionally offended to get you into trouble with the thought police.
I repeat - I am talking about words which are NOT offensive unless you choose to invent a spurious reason.

Are you saying that any word I use to describe you becomes offensive if you just think it so.
What about 'Big nose' or 'cupboard'? Should they be banned (no one ever allowed to say it again) if just you consider it offensive?

But I would have thought the average intelligent person could have worked that out for themselves.
I think it takes someone of considerably more than average intelligence to decipher your replies.

Yes, IT IS THE NAME OF THEIR COUNTRY.
Neither you nor they can avoid saying it.
No-one is calling anyone as "hey England" or "Hey Pakistan", or "Hey, India"
So stop talking nonsense.

Unless, as is the subject of the thread, that word is NOT offensive.
Only in your opinion!

No, I am talking about words which are NOT offensive unless you choose to invent a spurious reason.

I said:
Did you avoid answering that
Not at all, I answered you loud and clear.
If you exploit a characteristic about someone, one that they cannot change, and use that characteristic in a ridiculing manner it becomes offensive.
It's not a spurious reason that they find the word offensive, it's because you have exploited a characteristic to ridicule them.

Is that not what I have been saying?
That is absolutely not what you have been saying.
If I'm a transgender, it's something that I cannot change.

It was 'child' I found offensive.
Then stop behaving childishly. It's your choice.
However, if it was a characteristic that you could not change, I would be intentionally offensive to use "childish" or "child" as a means to ridicule you.

That is true - but not if they are being intentionally offended to get you into trouble with the thought police.
I repeat - I am talking about words which are NOT offensive unless you choose to invent a spurious reason.
No you're not. You are talking about words that people find genuinely offensive. You just refuse to understand why.

Are you saying that any word I use to describe you becomes offensive if you just think it so.
What about 'Big nose' or 'cupboard'? Should they be banned (no one ever allowed to say it again) if just you consider it offensive?
Use your own judgement. :rolleyes:

I think it takes someone of considerably more than average intelligence to decipher your replies.
You're the notoriously vague one.

No-one is calling anyone as "hey England" or "Hey Pakistan", or "Hey, India"
So stop talking nonsense.
No, it is exactly the same as calling someone Scotty. 'istan' means 'home of' or 'land of'.
The equivalent would be 'Engy, Engy, Engy" or 'Afghani' or 'Uzbeki". It doesn't apply to India.

Only in your opinion!
..and logic and common sense.

Not at all, I answered you loud and clear.
If you exploit a characteristic about someone, one that they cannot change, and use that characteristic in a ridiculing manner it becomes offensive.
It's not a spurious reason that they find the word offensive, it's because you have exploited a characteristic to ridicule them.
The name of their country is not a characteristic to be exploited.

That is absolutely not what you have been saying.
If I'm a transgender, it's something that I cannot change.
No, but an abbreviation of transgender is not offensive.

Then stop behaving childishly. It's your choice.
However, if it was a characteristic that you could not change, I would be intentionally offensive to use "childish" or "child" as a means to ridicule you.
What if an adult has a mental age of ten?

No you're not. You are talking about words that people find genuinely offensive. You just refuse to understand why.
No, I am not. I am talking about words which are not offensive.

Use your own judgement. :rolleyes:
No answer, then I shall draw my own conclusion.

You're the notoriously vague one.
That's just your opinion - because you don't understand the language.

Sponsored Links
Back