Religious food stuff?

S

Sombrero

What do people think of halal meat? would you eat it? do you object to how it was killed?

The definition is this:

"the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife (so the animal does not feel pain, as it quickens the death) by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck, causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained. "

Sounds humane doesn't it? even without the stunning...?

Sponsored Links
And you can find this stuff littering the shelves of your local supermarket.

Thank cuf I'm a veggie!!

the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of Allah")

The point above kind of makes the meat industry a restrictive practice.
If all meat in future is to be halal the meat industry will have a real shake up in terms of indigenous staffing.

The whole halal meat industry is a farce with meat labelled halal not actually halal and to be honest in this respect I actually sympathise with the Muslim community.
I am sure If a Christian who went to Lourdes would feel equally cheated if the bottle of Holy Water they brought back had actually just been filled up from a tap by some profiteering french flyboy.

75% of Halal meat sold has been found to be not Halal

But then the whole food supply chain is a train wreck which the recent horse meat scandal shows. Pork is ending up in Halal Beef , chickens are being machine slaughtered but still labelled Halal

This is big business of course supplying the supermarkets and the only way to ensure you get what you think you are getting is by using your local farm shops.

What do people think of halal meat? would you eat it? do you object to how it was killed?

The definition is this:

"the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife (so the animal does not feel pain, as it quickens the death) by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck, causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained. "

Sounds humane doesn't it? even without the stunning...?

Not to me it doesn't. Whilst the animal is being drained of blood it is also choking to death due to its windpipe having been cut. That sounds a particularly unpleasant death to me.

What is the objection to cutting the spinal cord?

Personally, as an atheist, I feel such practices just to appease an invisible and non-existent god are barbaric.

I, too, am fortunate to be an almost vegetarian atheist! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Animals with cut throats don't choke to death, they lose consciousness in a few seconds. In slaughterhouses chickens are stunned before the bleeding anyway.

The OP is right about halal food; this week I'm entertaining some business visitors from Sudan. We can only eat fish and chips or food from a restaurant that describes itself as "halal". The appearance of the word on the sign board or menu seems to satisfy them and they are not really interested in finding out the truth - maybe coming from a country where everything is halal to the UK they think they can trust our catering establishments!

On holy water... don't get me started! How much fuel is wasted on flights carrying people home from Mecca with their huge jerrycans of holy water, supposedly from the Zamzam well in Mecca but probably out of a tap in some ropey factory unit at the back of an industrial estate. What a con.

Well someone's got to pay for that huge monstrosity they've just built next to their holiest site.

I'm entertaining some business visitors from Sudan. We can only eat fish and chips or food from a restaurant that describes itself as "halal".

Take 'em to a fish and chip shop. Some of them cook their fish in animal fat, sometimes even pig fat.

I'm entertaining some business visitors from Sudan. We can only eat fish and chips or food from a restaurant that describes itself as "halal".

Take 'em to a fish and chip shop. Some of them cook their fish in animal fat, sometimes even pig fat.

Well bloody said !! a visitor to this country should try our way of living !!!

On holy water... don't get me started! How much fuel is wasted on flights carrying people home from Mecca with their huge jerrycans of holy water, supposedly from the Zamzam well in Mecca but probably out of a tap in some ropey factory unit at the back of an industrial estate. What a con.

Peckham Spring...

[/b]

Sponsored Links
Back