Repair or replace boiler quandry

Sponsored Links
Stick with a main brand, with decent aftersales support. Most installers will be familiar with them and spares after the warranty period ends won't be extortionate.

Sponsored Links
Why Intergas? I've never heard of them.
Because they're the best. They've just won the industry H&V Awards Product Of The Year. Vaillant weren't even finalists. Their revolutionary boiler only has four moving parts and only 12 parts in total, far fewer than any other boiler, so there's less to go wrong. It's built of long-lasting metal rather than cost-cutting plastic. It's more efficient in real-world terms as it condenses 100% of the time in heating mode and 98% of the time in hot water mode. The heat exchanger has never had a mechanical failure, and some of them have been in service for 20 years. It accepts OpenTherm controls for even greater efficiency. A certain well-known German manufacturer were so impressed with the design that they tried to buy Intergas out, and were sent packing. Need any more reasons?

Stick with a main brand, with decent aftersales support. Most installers will be familiar with them and spares after the warranty period ends won't be extortionate.
Nothing wrong with Intergas aftersales or the price of their parts. They'll be a "main brand" soon enough - watch this space

Whatever you do, do not buy a Vaillant. The brand has been diluted and the quality of product and service has dwindled. I used to fit them because tney were quality. Prices have risen, quality has dropped. Do not get mugged off thinking you are getting a quality German boiler with Vaillant.
Ten year warranty on Ideal Vogue. Cheaper than Vaillant. Made in UK. Intergas have a loyal following but service and parts network is still in its infancy.

oh dear, the choice of boiler looks to be a contentious issue. Is it easier to ask who NOT to consider?

Just to throw another name into the hat... I installed an ATAG iCE35 in Jan this year and I'm very happy with it... 7 year warranty which can be extended to 10 at any time.

oh dear, the choice of boiler looks to be a contentious issue. Is it easier to ask who NOT to consider?
There are plenty not to consider. You'll find more supporters of Intergas than any other manufacturer on here though. Do you need more convincing? ;)

Just to throw another name into the hat... I installed an ATAG iCE35 in Jan this year and I'm very happy with it... 7 year warranty which can be extended to 10 at any time.
Faketag actually let you buy one!? I tried to get onto their installer scheme as I thought I'd give one a go to see what it was like, but after an initial phone call from them to say the rep would be in touch, I never heard any more

It's more efficient in real-world terms as it condenses 100% of the time in heating mode and 98% of the time in hot water mode.
Are you ( or the manufacturers ) claiming that it condenses 100% of the time in heating mode ? If the return flow temperature is above the dew point temperature then how can it condense ? Or is it in reality partial condensation due to the temperature of the incoming air being cool enough to allow some of the vapour in the concentric flue to condense ?

Maybe it can achieve close to 100% of the time in condensing mode when fitted into a radiator system designed such that the return flow is always below the dew point. But retro fitting a boiler into an existing system of radiators is not the same as a new radiotor system and cannot garantee that return flow will be cool enough to ensure condensing.

I tried to make a sales enquiry from ATAG, so my installer could consider one of their boilers, but no one ever got back to me.

Are they some sort of secret society with funny handshakes etc?

How do they ever sell any boilers?

I tried to make a sales enquiry from ATAG, so my installer could consider one of their boilers, but no one ever got back to me.

Are they some sort of secret society with funny handshakes etc?

How do they ever sell any boilers?

I'd get the number of your area rep and call him directly!

It was simple for us, he came into the shop we use and gave us a demo and induction on the two boilers he had set up and running in his very smartly converted van. Took out details and setup an account with ATAG for us, within a couple of days!
Shopowner and I were the first "Guinea pigs" to have them in our own homes - we've installed about 12 between us since then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back