£40-£50k Investing Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I currently have £50k in my bank as I have sold a 2nd property I was renting out. I don't want this money to be spent willynilly so I'm looking for investing it. My son thinks I should put it into Bitcoin but obviously that could go very wrong. But on the other hand it could go very well (looking at the price increase over the years and the current interest in big companies)...

What would you guys do with £50k? Please no silly answers like spend it on holidays, I need this to keep me going well into my retirement.

Thanks

Sam

Sponsored Links
Mrs G and I have £50k split over 2 Investec schemes. Capital secure, cannot go down. Basically, It's a 3 year 'loan' to Investec. We have it split into two schemes. 1. If the FTSE is above; or within 10% of the start day after 3 years, we get 9%. Worse than 90% FTSE, we get no interest, money back. 2. Higher risk, the FTSE must be higher than start date, or nothing but this one will pay 13%. There is a setup charge. Looking good so far.

Hope that makes sense.

Rather than seeking the advice of a bunch of keyboard warriors on the internet, I would suggest seeking the advice of a financial advisor. He would be able to accurately ascertain all of the factors that will go into making the right decision such as how long you are looking to invest for, how much risk you are able/willing to take, what you actually would like at the end etc etc.

That being said, as a stranger on the internet and making some large assumptions, I would tell you to throw the bitcoin idea in the bin and tell your son to not be so stupid. I would be looking to load it into a stocks and shares ISA (this would take you 2 and half years as you are limited to £20k per year) and then would be looking to put it into a wide spread of tracker funds. Getting it inside the ISA wrapper protects you from tax when you want to withdraw it and putting it into a wide spread of tracker funds minimises your risk should something individually go tits up but over a long period of time (you mentioned your pension here) you should always outperform by being in stocks and shares.

If it genuinely is your pension money, also look at opening a SIPP. The same idea as the stocks and shares ISA but you wouldn't be able to withdraw anything until you are 55-57.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
I'd randomly select a stranger to gift it too, & wait for karma to take its rightful place in my life.

I am a Nigerian prince and for a mere £50K solicitors fee I can transfer £50 million in your bank account within 4 weeks...

If you do go to an independent financial advisor, ask them what they will be earning out of each scheme they recommend.

I am a Nigerian prince and for a mere £50K solicitors fee I can transfer £50 million in your bank account within 4 weeks...

you sound like the crook who promised £350million a week to the NHS plus free trade.

If you are still working, and you put it into a pension, you can get a tax rebate on what you put in.

there are limits that depend on your earnings in the tax year.

I'd put some of it in some of most recommended investment funds, keep some as cash (bonds maybe?) and blow the rest on a nice holiday or two.

I concur with SIPP pension. Invest up to your net salary per annum and get your income tax rebates back in to the pension, of course it will be locked away until you reach your earliest pension age (55 or 57 depending of dob) and then drawdown could be taxed as income.

invest in ESG funds, perhaps leaning towards environment ones as these have done well in recent years and who’s to say they will decline in popularity and performance? I think not.

Hi everyone,

I currently have £50k in my bank as I have sold a 2nd property I was renting out. I don't want this money to be spent willynilly so I'm looking for investing it. My son thinks I should put it into Bitcoin but obviously that could go very wrong. But on the other hand it could go very well (looking at the price increase over the years and the current interest in big companies)...

What would you guys do with £50k? Please no silly answers like spend it on holidays, I need this to keep me going well into my retirement.

Thanks

Sam

If you can’t decide for a while, buy premium bonds - not great return but there’s chance of winning every month.

Alternatively I would suggest a tracker trust - do a bit of research and maybe split between UK, Asia, Europe, America.

sam.... avoid bitcoin as this is like going to the bookies....... go see a IFA..... make sure they are registered...you will pay a fee but with the 50k invested this will make fee back soon.... they will tell you the best return you can get on it

As said earlier, do NOT take advice from complete strangers on an internet forum site.
However, do listen to the advice about avoiding bitcoin. There are a lot of schemes out there and, whilst some may seem to be quite lucrative, there are many more which are not. They are not controlled or underwritten by any financial institution so your money is not protected like it is if a bank goes belly up.
Seek the advice of a registered and regulated financial advisor who should give you a breakdown of their costs for handling your case and make sure everything is in writing.
If anyone is vague about costs or says they will do the paperwork after investing your money on your behalf turn round and walk out. You'd be better off sticking it under your mattress than trusting these sort of people.

Sponsored Links
Back