£7k a month benefits?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Granted it will likely be a minority of claimants on this level of income, however it's no wonder some of them are happy not to work if they're raking in this much. Putting aside the wrongs this couple have done, on one level I don't blame the claimants. If the process/system facilitates extremely large monthly benefit payments, it's as much the system that's to blame in my view.

Sponsored Links
it's as much the system that's to blame in my view.

That I agree with. But if those in control of it don't want to, for some reason ? Keeps us focussed on arguing about it and not demanding control.

I thought there was a maximum limit could be paid! Obviously not.

Sponsored Links
it's as much the system that's to blame in my view.
Probably in another way as well. People who are claiming anything may find themselves being checked in various ways. This has a side issue. The cost of providing the people to do the checking. There comes a point where that cost exceeds possible savings. It would be interesting to know if there has been cuts in that area.

The other point is £7k. I doubt if many reach that as there is only one way of achieving it. It should be possible to relate checks to cost. It's noticeable that the police came across this particular case.

Odd isn't it. Children are part of the "problem". What to do about that? They influence the support that is available. The birth rate viewed as a whole seems to tend to decline but not for all.

What happens when there are more?
Make working more beneficial ?

A working family with kids often needs taxpayer support ( family tax credits), which is in effect taxpayers subsidising profitable companies, and SOME non working get the equivalent of minimum wage, or more.

Minimum wages need to be enough to live on (sensibly) and be better than benefits. But there seems to be a call for most workers to be on a pittance and only the wealthy allowed to live comfortably.

But I suspect the system is "broken" on purpose. Who does it advantage ? Only those that want the public to react to headlines and slogans

"The system" does apply to all.
There's obviously something wrong with it.
I'd be interested to see the makeup of the £7k.

Stop benefits at 3 kids.
It does seem strange that a couple on benefits could elect to keep popping out kids and the taxpayer picks up the cost to support them.

It does seem strange that a couple on benefits could elect to keep popping out kids and the taxpayer picks up the cost to support them.
What else can you do? Mandatory adoption if anyone who has more than two children loses their jobs?

What else can you do? Mandatory adoption if anyone who has more than two children loses their jobs?
No sensible person would say it's not a complex multi-faceted issue, for example the scenario you give of people that might be in work e.g. with 5 kids and then lose their jobs. However that's distinctly different from people that are already on benefits, perhaps not working at all, who make a conscious decision to have another child, then another, and perhaps another.

No sensible person would say it's not a complex multi-faceted issue, for example the scenario you give of people that might be in work e.g. with 5 kids and then lose their jobs. However that's distinctly different from people that are already on benefits, perhaps not working at all, who make a conscious decision to have another child, then another, and perhaps another.
which a simple maximum limit would address

The thing I find disturbing about it is 7 kids and a lot of support and no one looking to see what is going on. In fact 7 kids alone could be seen to justify that. Instead the police appear to have responded to some incident.

Not enough social workers again? The only person from my wife's birthing experiance who would get a look is a midwife if they still visit recent births. Actually she commented about something that related to social area aspects -me wearing jeans and a T shirt. As I always have done away from work.

Sponsored Links
Back