‘Original House’ rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am currently designing a rear extension to my end of terrace house that was built over 100 years ago. I’ve got 2 questions, firstly, the house used to have a rear toilet stuck on the very back of the house. This was demolished before I bought the house but I have found an old OS map from 2013 that shows it. Would the rear of the toilet be considered the rear of the ‘original house’ as it stood in 1948 even though it has been demolished for a few years? This is important as, when taking into account the toilet, the length of the extension is less than 3m meaning I can avoid prior approval. It was built from brick and a few of the houses in the terrace still have them. I might try to get an LDC to confirm but would appreciate some advice at this point.Secondly, Pretty sure the answer is no, but are there any limits on the width of a rear extension (other than not being any wider than the house)? I know there is for side extensions but can’t see anything on rear extensions? The design is about 2/3 the width of the house. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the toilet makes a side wall, your PD extension might become a side extention.

Really? Part of the extension would be beyond the side of the toilet but the extension is certainly to the rear of the house, attached an image showing the house on plan plus the extension in red. The toilet is the little bit on the back

Attachments

• 04123CD0-9C4D-4A7B-9C00-F1E125D57FFB.jpeg
    04123CD0-9C4D-4A7B-9C00-F1E125D57FFB.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it. Either we consider the toilet block to be there, in which case this is side and rear extension (no PD), or it isn't, in which case its length means it falls into the neighbour consultation scenario

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back