0800 numbers

fattony said:
I signed up how long till its active?

About 10 seconds. ;)

Try dialling it.... (uh, from a different number than the one it's routing to, of course! ;) )

Sponsored Links
mmm dont work, get like an engaged tone. its routing to a mobile

fattony said:
mmm dont work, get like an engaged tone. its routing to a mobile

Ah... a mobile! My apologies -- you've picked up something I'd forgotten about.

Routing to mobiles *will* generate charges for the recipient (ie you), since it has to go through the mobile operator as well.

It won't route there unless you've agreed to that, and it should have told you that on the site when you ordered the number? (if it didn't, that's a glitch I need to look into in the morning)

Try changing it to a landline, and it should work.

Sorry. :( honestly didn't think to say that before.

I used to work for a large company in Holborn, one day I met one of the marketing people in the lift who proudly showed me a new ad they'd knocked up.

I pointed out that it said "ring 0800 000 0000 free" which was obviously a dummy number, and they'd have to put the real one before getting it published

She told me it was a real, very expensive, easy-to-remember number.

I have a sneaky feeling many potential customers thought the same as me and didn't phone.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
With number portabilty an 0208 number can be anyway in the UK maybe anywhere in the world.

0208 is a london number (so you would think) i just googled and found a place that will redirect any landline number to...............anylandline number.

their example was 0141 (glasgow) being redirected to London :confused:

With VOIP phones you used to be able to buy a landline number geographically anywhere in the UK, probably anywhere in the world.

breezer said:
Diyisfun said:
With number portabilty an 0208 number can be anyway in the UK maybe anywhere in the world.

0208 is a london number (so you would think) i just googled and found a place that will redirect any landline number to...............anylandline number.

Thas what I was saying.

FYI, The original poster emailed me & I gave him all the details he required.

Diyisfun said:
breezer said:
Diyisfun said:

Thas what I was saying.

can you email me the details as well as i want to keep a Bournemouth number (business there) but have it come to my new home in Romsey

thanks

0800 are not free from all telecom providers so as more people leave BT albeit temporarily more of your customers might be paying for the call. My 0800 was from a licensed number shed - costs not much more than a pint of beer a month with 500 free minutes of incoming calls free. That's more customers than I can cope with. Over that I pay 3p a call. Excellent service from the shed even at the cheap end service I use.

If its just one more little thing that might make people use my service then great. No problems with timewasters - yet.

Given the large number of telecoms package providers that make all 01 and 02 numbers "free" surely those numbers are increasingly likely to get hit by timewasters.

As I can cancel anytime with no penalty (other than my headed notepaper etc) I'm sticking with it - a very low cost overhead - half a tank of diesel a year.

kevindgas said:
Diyisfun said:
breezer said:
Diyisfun said:

Thas what I was saying.

I think you may be better doing a 'port' on your number, contact your telecom provider.

can you email me the details as well as i want to keep a Bournemouth number (business there) but have it come to my new home in Romsey

thanks

I guess I am lucky or my accounts trust me as I never get any calls how much will it cost.

I just get a call saying there is a problem I send a bill and a few days later I receive a check or they call in a credit card number.

I guess it is like some of the Manhattan restaurants I eat in where there is no prices on the menu as they feel if you have to ask then you cant afford to eat there.

JohnD said:
or an inability to post on the right thread ;)

Now I can fully understand why the Brit government does not trust their citizens to own fire arms as they can't be trusted as their Government has proven time and time again EH Mate

No more lend lease for you blokes

Sponsored Links
Back