1/2" Ratchet Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone recommend a decent 1/2 Ratchet? I have a Halfords Professional set and whilst the sockets are OK the ratchet is pretty useless. I don't mind getting a second hand one off ebay. I looked at the Snap-On ones on there but they are still quite expensive second hand. Anyone recommend something in the middle?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "useless"? I have a few 1/2 drive ratchets (it saves swapping sockets) I think I have a Halfords one too and it's not a bad ratchet. What do you want it to do that the Halfords one won't?

The ratchet mechanism doesn't work when the nut is loose. Once it is a bit tight and there is some tension it does. I have to use both hands to apply some tension to the nut to get the ratchet to catch. Otherwise it just losens the nut again.

Some ratchets are like that but it might help if you were to spray it with WD40 (other brands are available) and worked it until it freed up a bit. Sometimes they get dirty inside and you might be amazed at the amount of crud that comes out of it.

Sponsored Links
This is the best ratchet i've ever owned. The small amount of movement necessary for it to operate has been really useful in tight spaces.

I've also got that style of ratchet, it's the last one I go for as it's a pain in the neck when you want to change direction.

I have a 1/4" Teng set, they are excellent pieces of kit. Also am I being a bit daft here but if there is little friction on the nut there obviously the ratchet will not catch? I always have to hold the socket or bolt when initially tightening, surely that's what everyone does?

Keep the ratchet, but buy a knurled spinner... sits between ratchet and socket, allowing you to easily turn the socket between thumb and finger.

Keep the ratchet, but buy a knurled spinner... sits between ratchet and socket, allowing you to easily turn the socket between thumb and finger.

It also stops you from getting the socket fully onto the drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back