1.5mm twin and earth used outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please settle this arguement. Next door has had outside lights fitted in south facing rear of house. Cable is T & E clipped direct to outside of wall. I informed neighbour that this work is notifiable, should not have been clipped direct but protected with conduit and certificates should have been issued. Electrician rang me and told me to go away and mind my own business, work ok as clipped out of reach. Neighbour not happy with electrician, fact work not to regs or has not been notified. Can you confirm I am right and should I inform LABC.

Sponsored Links
You're quite correct.
Clipping out of reach is not the issue, it's the damage by temperature change and UV rays which will cause problems with general purpose PVC.

Any installation work by a competent electrician should be certified regardless of wether or not it is notifiable.

You're quite correct.
Clipping out of reach is not the issue, it's the damage by temperature change and UV rays which will cause problems with general purpose PVC.

in about 50 years

Sponsored Links
You're quite correct.

in about 50 years

So on that basis you lash t&e externally?

I`ve used it as such in the past yes - and I`m not going to go round and swop it all now - and I`ll use it again in the future (in fact I`m looping into a floodlight as we speak) but there again hows the O/P know its standard T&E anyway

and loose the "lash " implication .... you`ve never seen any of my work and I`m not likely to see any of yours so save your judgment for that you have seen - cheers

Fair comment on the lash bit but not impressed by anybody who clips twin and earth externally or even uses it to enter a fitting with only a 200mm loop on show.

You're quite correct.

in about 50 years

No, YOU are wrong.

First of all the installation does not comply with BS7671. Do you install your electrics to a different standard?

CO-AX:

coax2.jpg

That is not 50 years old.

This is HARMONISED t&e.

See how UV has already started to destroy the PVC?

UVTE.jpg

uvTE1.jpg

That's certainly not 50 years old.

Can someone please settle this arguement. Next door has had outside lights fitted in south facing rear of house. Cable is T & E clipped direct to outside of wall. I informed neighbour that this work is notifiable, should not have been clipped direct but protected with conduit and certificates should have been issued. Electrician rang me and told me to go away and mind my own business, work ok as clipped out of reach. Neighbour not happy with electrician, fact work not to regs or has not been notified. Can you confirm I am right and should I inform LABC.

mine was the same. I replaced the T&E with arctic flex clipped direct to wall.
I presume this is ok but I didn`t know it was notifiable, just seemed like common sense to replace existing cable with weatherproof.

I presume this is ok but I didn`t know it was notifiable, just seemed like common sense to replace existing cable with weatherproof.

'oeeeeeeg' please get in touch with me. I need your help

'oeeeeeeg' please get in touch with me. I need your help

check your email mate.
edited to say email was undeliverable, post on here mate and I (and others) will try to help

You're quite correct.

in about 50 years

No, YOU are wrong.

First of all the installation does not comply with BS7671. Do you install your electrics to a different standard?

CO-AX:

coax2.jpg

That is not 50 years old.

This is HARMONISED t&e.

See how UV has already started to destroy the PVC?

UVTE.jpg

uvTE1.jpg

That's certainly not 50 years old.

thats salt damage - totaly different consideration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back