1 gang 2 way but 5 wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'ve been reading the posts here and it seems 2 way switches are usually used when there are more than one switch controlling the same light/set of lights.

I have a dressing room that has only one set of halogen lights. When I pull off the face plate there are 5 wires 2 black going in N1 and N2, 2 red going into L1 and L2 and an earth.

I\\\'m trying to replace with 1 of 2 switches I have. One is a dimmer but has no earth connection. The other is a 1 gang 2 way with L1 L2 and Common inputs.

Any idea why there are so many wires for a room with one set of lights? What is the correct configuration?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the original is a double pole switch, the blacks being the neutrals and the reds being the lives. Is it fed from the lighting circuit? Are the halogens mains or 12v? How many watts of lighting and what size dimmer switch?

Quick reply. Didn't expect that.

It is fed from the lighting circuit and they are mains fed. There are 6 50W halogens. The dimmer looks like a one way switch with 2 inputs the other swith I have is a one gand 2 way with L1 L2 and common

You'll need a minimum 600w dimmer or one that is already de-rated for halogen loads.
Other than that, see: wiki, (just ignore the supply to next light cable)

Sponsored Links
does the existing switch have a fuse?

i am thinking it my be an fcu, fed from ring

Does the switch say "DP" or "double pole" on the back? What rating is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back