1 gang light switch with a dimmer AND a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to install a light switch that controls 2 sets of lights. the first set needs to be dimmable and the second set needs to be on/off.

i have found the below but am i correct in thinking this will work?

my only concern is does the switch control the power to the dimmer? ie you set the dimmer and then use the switch to turn on/off.

i obviously need the switch to control one set of lights and the dimmer to control the other set.

Anyone used one of these?

http://www.needselectricalonline.co...mmer+Switch+Polished+Chrome+White+Inserts.htm

Sponsored Links
It says one-gang so no good.

You need to buy a two-gang dimmer and swap one of the gangs with a push button on/off switch of the same design.

Sponsored Links
screenshot_26.png

:?:

It says one-gang so no good.
That's pretty obviously a typo. It's modular, the photo shows '2 gangs' in use and the specification for that particular switch includes:
Cable Size:
Switch:
4 x 1.5mm
2 x 2.5mm
1 x 6mm Maximum

Dimmer Switch:
2 x 1.5mm
... so it has a 'switch' and also a 'dimmer switch', the two having different terminal capacities. By my counting, that makes '2 gang'.

Kind Regards, John

This all hinges on whether the dimmer module has its own on/off switch built-in.

If not, it will have to be used in conjunction with the one on the plate, otherwise the light will never turn off.

Ok, everyone seems to think I misinterpreted the description.

Click Deco 1 Gang 2 Way Ingot Switch & 400w Dimmer Switch Polished Chrome White Inserts.

If you're certain...or is securespark correct?

This all hinges on whether the dimmer module has its own on/off switch built-in. If not, it will have to be used in conjunction with the one on the plate, otherwise the light will never turn off.
That's true, but it's very many years since I saw a dimmer (intended for domestic lighting use) which didn't have an on/off function (either 'rotary' or 'push'). Also, FWIW, it's described as a 'dimmer switch', not a 'dimmer'!

Kind Regards, John

If you're certain...or is securespark correct?
As I've just written, although what securespark wrote was all correct, I'd be more than a little surprised if it is the sort of dimmer (without a built-in on/off facility, necessitating use of the separate rocker switch) to which he was referring. However, we are all speculating - I think you'll have to ask the supplier - either that or buy Click modules (plus plate etc.) yourself, in which case you'll know exactly what you're buying.

For those who wish to leave the level of dimming 'set' when they turn off the light, 'push on/off' dimmers were invented many years ago, but rotary ones are also still common. However, FWIW, all the ones I've seen for years have had a built in switch of some sort..

Kind Regards, John

Looking at Click's Minigrid Catalogue, it says that the 10V dimmer needs a separate on/off switch, but implies the others do not.

However, it does not call the modules dimmer switches, merely "dimmers".

The best thing would be to get the part number for the dimmer module and then ring Scolmore Technical.

I have this at the bottom of my stairs (although my wife thinks it is silly looking) as I do not want the landing light dimmable for safety reasons but the hall light can be too bright if not dimmed. So I have a two-gang grid switch with a 2-way switch module and a dimmer module.

Grid is probably the best way to achieve it (I use MK Logic Plus).

Looking at Click's Minigrid Catalogue, it says that the 10V dimmer needs a separate on/off switch, but implies the others do not. ... The best thing would be to get the part number for the dimmer module and then ring Scolmore Technical.
All true. In fact, the Minigrid Catalogue seems to indicate that there is only one 400W Dimmer - part number MD9042.

The description of the MD9042 in the catalogue is "2-way resistive/inductive dimmer module". What could "2-way" mean if it wasn't referring to an integral switch. At least one retailer (click here) describes it as "push On/Off".

As you say, the OP needs to check, but it seems very likely that it includes a (push) switch functionality.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back