1 ton slate bag on pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I kept my eye on a Travis Perkins 1 ton slate bag and when I was ready to order, the price had doubled!
So, I had to order from another website.

The delivery driver came today and he didn't have a crane to put it beyond my half height bounday wall onto the little bit of space I have at the front of my house. So, it was either the road or the pavement. I chose the pavement. Half of the pavement is blocked in front of mt house.

Now, there is no way in hell I will be able to move a ton of slate from the front to my garden by this weekend. Will I get in trouble with the council?

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Get a second bag on the other side of the wall. It's a much shorter distance to shovel it all.

Apparently the world record for shovelling a half ton of coal is 24 seconds. So give yourself 15 minutes and you should be fine.

Unless you've got really wide pavements leaving it part blocked isn't ok. But I think you know that.

I kept my eye on a Travis Perkins 1 ton slate bag and when I was ready to order, the price had doubled!
I'd have paid double for the convenience of a decent crane, lol.

List prices may not include delivery. You'll pay a premium for such a small order.

Sponsored Links

The delivery driver came today and he didn't have a crane to put it beyond my half height bounday wall onto the little bit of space I have at the front of my house. So, it was either the road or the pavement. I chose the pavement. Half of the pavement is blocked in front of mt house.

Now, there is no way in hell I will be able to move a ton of slate from the front to my garden by this weekend. Will I get in trouble with the council?

What should I do?
If someone complains you will. However technically it was not you who blocked the pavement.

What should I do?
I always thought it was an obstruction but apparently many councils will not take action provided a wheelchair/buggy can get by. If you are reasonably fit, a ton is not a lot to move, take it in stages and blame the driver.

Blup

With the number of cars that get parked on the pavements I assume nobody in authority will give a damn

The police say that to prosecute, they would need to see the vehicle being driven on, or off the pavement. They cannot prosecute for it just being on the pavement - except in London.

Likely, the same would apply to a bag of slate.

Slit the bag to let the contents spill onto pavement where it will be dead easy to shovel off, 10-15 barrows and your done.

Last edited:
IME, local councils have staff that roam the area looking for 'infringements', IME as often as every 48hrs.

If it's a problem then expect a notice in the post, by which time the bag should be gone shouldn't it.

The police say that to prosecute, they would need to see the vehicle being driven on, or off the pavement. They cannot prosecute for it just being on the pavement - except in London.

Likely, the same would apply to a bag of slate.
That’s true so far as it goes but many councils now declare an SPA which reversed the assumption you can park unless prohibited to. These Traffic orders cover no parking on pavement’s too

Blup

That’s true so far as it goes but many councils now declare an SPA which reversed the assumption you can park unless prohibited to. These Traffic orders cover no parking on pavement’s too

I do wish my local council would too. I have complained numerous times to the police, and local councillors about vehicles being parked (unnecessarily) blocking footpaths in our road. It seems because the kerbs are minimal, they treat the footpath as simply not existing, and being a usable part of the road. We have yellow lines, but wardens can only issue tickets, if they contravene the lines, not for being parked on the paths, no matter how inconsiderate they park.

I have no objection to the likes of builders vans, and delivery vans with lots to load/unload, deliberately blocking paths, for safety, whilst they load..

Sponsored Links
Back