1 way switch / 2 wires from ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a switch which is wired red/black/earth

The problem i am having is that from the ceiling i have 2 wires each having red/black & earth

i know one goes to switch and have got the switch live, not sure where the other goes to assuming going to the next room light.

I have bought a light fitting and all it has is a choca block with live and neutral on it.
I have tried a few combinations and all i can get is perm live
could someone help?

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need to identify which cable is the switch wire. Turn the power off. With a multimeter set to ohms range connect it across the black and red from one cable and operate the switch (I take it is a normal switch, not a dimmer). If you see a change of resistance from high to low this will be the switch wire. If not, check the other cable. Once identified, put a piece of red sleeve onto the black wire of this cable as it is switched live. Connect this switched live to L on fitting, black from supply cable to N on fitting, earths together and to fitting (if required) and both reds together but to nothing else (you will probably need an aditional piece of terminal block for this).

method 1.Using your multimeter or other suitable voltage detecting device, find out which cable is the permanent live and which is the switchwire.

method 2. With the power off use a suitable continiuty device and find the switchwire

method 3. Keep playing around with wres with the risk of shock, injury, burns, damaging equipment, until you find the correct combination

Identify the switch cable using your multimeter, connect the all the reds together in a terminal block on their own, black from the switch, sleeve it red and connect to live on the fitting, connect all other blacks to neutral on the fitting, connect all earths to the earth terminal on the fitting, or if its a class 2 fitting, but them in a piece of terminal block (remember to sleeve earths green/yellow)

Sponsored Links
thanks
i had both lives going into seperate choc blocks but working fine now

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back