1 Way Switch - Is this okay ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have fitted a chrome plated 1 Way Switch to replace a standard plastic one.

I understand that the convention is for the rocker switch to be up in the OFF position.

The rocker switch is not that well aligned on the plate and looks better on the wall when it is upside down. The means that the rocker switch in down in the OFF position.

To do this I would have to switch the wires going into COM and L1 around which I know is not the correct convention.

However is there any technical reason why I could not do this for cosmetic reasons ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It really does not matter which wires go in which terminals, BUT have you got the new plate earthed? A metal plate MUST be linked to the main earthing system, either direct to the cpc of the cable or by a link to the cpc via the terminal in the back box.

You would have to put them in COM and L2, not just swap them around.

Can't you do tat AND turn the switch upside down?

Many thanks

Sorry I shoudl have said that there was an earhting wire inside the gang box which I have connected.

Sponsored Links
You state it is a 1 way switch.

A 1 way switch will only have two terminals, probably com and L1.

If you only have com and L1, swapping the wires over will not make any difference - you would have to turn the switch upside down.

However, are you certain it's not a 2 way switch?

A 2 way switch has three terminals, usually com, L1, L2. A 2 way switch can be used for 1 way operation. Here you would do as someone described earlier, use either com and L1, or com and L2. Or again, just turn the switch upside down.

Personally I hate the idea of a switch being upside down, as it's very misleading for anyone working on the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back