Replacing scatty landing switches

Yeah fair point. It's weird though, 2 of the switches I replaced were metal. And I checked them with a meter before using them and they showed no reading...

Sponsored Links
They won't under normal conditions. It's fault conditions you want to worry about.

If it's earthed, there's a path to earth for the fault current. If there is no earth cable, you are that path to earth!

Soooo...rookie question, can I earth it without rewiring?!

I can't see why there would be a fault as once they are in I will test them then leave them be until we decorate next...repeat process etc.

If the switches have no earth, it's very likely that the light fittings don't either - so any metal lights must also be replaced.

All of it will work without the earth, but when some fault occurs, the switch could become live, and anyone touching the switch will die.

Sponsored Links
Those BG switches are terrible for cables falling out of tight terminals. Make sure you give the cables a REALLY good tug to check they're tight.

No you can't earth them without rewiring.

Soooo...rookie question, can I earth it without rewiring?!
You could theoretically install a separate earth wire to each switch and light position, but it would be just as easy to replace the whole cable, which is already 50+ years old.

I've been tugging them hard all day (ha!). I will scoot round tomorrow and recheck them and tape up any exposed wire. I was pretty careful with them though.

I have replaced at least 2 light fittings (including one in a room that I am changing a switch in) and both were 100% earthed.

I tested the faceplate to make sure it wasn't live...
I hope you're joking but I fear you aren't.
Looking at the pics there's no earth in there, if you meter from live to the switch plate or backbox and get no volts (or less than 230 volts) then there is no earth, replace with plastic. By the way, you shouldn't have exposed cores where the wire goes into the terminals.

I've used them in other rooms in the house with no earth and I'm still alive
Yes, and I could have spent the last 40 years driving cars with no airbags and not wearing a seatbelt, and I would still be alive. But I won't do those things the next time I get in a car, because if something goes wrong the lack of them could cost me my life.

I've been tugging them hard all day (ha!). I will scoot round tomorrow and recheck them and tape up any exposed wire. I was pretty careful with them though.

I have replaced at least 2 light fittings (including one in a room that I am changing a switch in) and both were 100% earthed.

Taping up any exposed wires isn't good enough.

It's worth pointing out the back boxes are metal.

This was quite normal in those days to have an unearthed metal back box. Nylon fixing lugs were supplied to fix the plastic switch plate to. This way the fixing screws had little chance of becoming live.

It's worth noting it appears your new switches are plastic with a clip on metal cover. Though it could be argued the plastic surround of the new switch does double insulate it, the very presence of that earth terminal tells us it MUST be earthed.

My advice to you is get the lighting circuit re-wired, or buy plastic fittings.

No one is going to tell you otherwise.

Incidently, I know how to wire your switches correctly (assuming you want both switches to control the same lights) but I want to see some new plastic switches first. Also recommend you get a simple multimeter to do some very basic tests on that wiring first. The reason being some of those wires were disconnected and coiled up, which may suggest a faulty wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back