1 week plastering/skimming courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the 1 week plastering/skimming courses any good and are they worth doing? A training centre near me is charging 350 for a weeks course. Are they worth doing or is it a waste of money?

Sponsored Links
Are the 1 week plastering/skimming courses any good and are they worth doing? A training centre near me is charging 350 for a weeks course. Are they worth doing or is it a waste of money?

No.

ok with a one week course you will get the basic of how to skim or plaster, but to be any good takes lots of practice,£350 i think is steep, are there any spreads near you that you could ask? best way is learn off a spread and maybe get paid for it, or even offering your services for nothing will still mean you are quids in saving £350 what course is it and where?
"EDIT" i showed someone how to skim, after a couple of days he was onsite skimming 30m2 walls so dont listen to people when they say you cant learn nothing in a week, mind you that boy picked things up pretty quick, there a long story to this but i wont go into that

To be honest youll never thoroughly learn any course in 1 week but everyone gotta start somewhere, be it from books, forums, dvds etc.

But 1 week course is ideal to get you started in any skill then take the skills and practice them. The advantage you have is you obviously got walls in your home that you can practice, practice, practice on. Dont forget to PVA again each time you start though :D

Depending on where you live and what your prepared to pay but dont go for the cheapest quote.... weve all heard that saying before.

I think £500 is more realistic for a proper week and id choose GOLDTROWEL in essex, and no im not on commision (i wish)

Sponsored Links
Or get a few sheets of board and tack them up to a garage or shed wall. There are cheapsih DVD's out there which will run you through the basics, and you can practise on the plasterboards at home.

I aint no pro, obviously, but a decent hawk and float proved to be a godsend, as did a paddle mixer.

Soon Push-fit Naz will be on here giving plastering advice, well he's doing it on the Plumbing pages. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

Soon Push-fit Naz will be on here giving plastering advice, well he's doing it on the Plumbing pages. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Andy
i've had a look and see why you call him push fit-naz im not sure what to make of it i have a question for naz though, how can you quote to do bathroom fits without the proper knowledge? it seems you haven't mastered any of the trades yet you are quoting on tiling and plumbing and such,you remind me of some one who used to be on our plastering forum

Andy
i've had a look and see why you call him push fit-naz im not sure what to make of it i have a question for naz though, how can you quote to do bathroom fits without the proper knowledge? it seems you haven't mastered any of the trades yet you are quoting on tiling and plumbing and such,you remind me of some one who used to be on our plastering forum

Plumbing and Tiling i'm fine with, i completed a City and Guilds level 2 course in plumbing which i did over 2 years, and have since been doing a lot of plumbing work building up my experience working for friends and family.

I'm also registered with a couple of local lettings agents and do general plumbing maintenance work for them.

Tiling i've been doing about a year now, and my work is to a very good standard, only issue is i'm a bit slow due to lack of experience. Looking to do the Gas Safe next year.

Andy

Plumbing and Tiling i'm fine with, i completed a City and Guilds level 2 course in plumbing which i did over 2 years, and have since been doing a lot of plumbing work building up my experience working for friends and family.

I'm also registered with a couple of local lettings agents and do general plumbing maintenance work for them.

Tiling i've been doing about a year now, and my work is to a very good standard, only issue is i'm a bit slow due to lack of experience. Looking to do the Gas Safe next year.
hi naz if you have the city and guilds level 2 thats viewed as a stepping stone to the nvq, i too done it your way with the c&glevel2 , but i then went on to turn it into an nvq through osat also theres nothing wrong with being slow as long as your work is good ;)

To clarify Naz, you did the C&G6129 a couple of years ago. Have you built up the portfolio and been assessed on site for the NVQ2?

im sure nazes work is good the trouble is the city&guilds qualification has been watered down so much its not worth anything even the cscs scheme do not recognize it they only recognize nvq2 or higher or old apprenticeships i think, the city and guilds used to be a good qualification but now you can get a city and guilds qualification in a couple of weeks like the 6000 series, which is just the stepping stone towards an nvq qualification, but this should not be held against anybody everybody has to start some where

im sure nazes work is good the trouble is the city&guilds qualification has been watered down so much its not worth anything even the cscs scheme do not recognize it they only recognize nvq2 or higher or old apprenticeships i think, the city and guilds used to be a good qualification but now you can get a city and guilds qualification in a couple of weeks like the 6000 series, which is just the stepping stone towards an nvq qualification, but this should not be held against anybody everybody has to start some where

C&G are the better qualification. NVQs are crap.

http://www.pi-academy.com/NVQ.aspx

C&G are the better qualification and are full time. NVQs are crap.

http://www.pi-academy.com/NVQ.aspx[/QUOTE]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back