10 degree roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read some of the topics in here and spoken to BCO. they suggested that i use a double layer of felt on a plywood deck. then counter batten and bateen for tiles. the tiles will be cosmetic only as the pitch is past the minimum specified. what felt should i specify or is it enough to say "2 layers of roofing felt"? will this waterproofing be affected when fixing the counter battens through it?

Sponsored Links
Just have one layer of torch on. Counter batten and then a breather membrane then lath and tile. The batten nails will self-seal in the torch on bitumen

The tiles will not be cosmetic only, they will be the main weathering face and the idea of the ply deck is just an additional precaution, but the breather membrane will catch any rain which happens to seep under the tiles

thanks for your response, sorry to be a pain woody, but can i ask...
is the torch on felt a generic term or is there something specific i should be specifying?

Well!!! I've been looking into my extension design a bit more and my next question is what sort of cost is a lead roof!!! £/sq. metre?

Sponsored Links
Hi To supply and fix code 5 sheet lead underlay and wood core roll expect approx £185per Sqm. (If over 8 Sqm. )

Just have one layer of torch on. Counter batten and then a breather membrane then lath and tile. The batten nails will self-seal in the torch on bitumen

Just curious Woody - why would he use a breather membrane? If he's going to use a plywood deck does that not mean that his roof has to be ventilated?

Cheers,

Hib

Some people may omit the breather membrane and just have the tiles on lath above the flat roof felt. But I never rely on the flat roof felt fixed to the deck, as this is not really designed to have nails through it, and as it is gritted, there may not be a tight seal to the laths nailed into it. I prefer to rely on a proper sarking beneath the tiles.

So on this principle, using a breather membrane allows any residual moisture to evapourate and not stay within the void, like a traditional sarking would.

thanks for your response, sorry to be a pain woody, but can i ask...
is the torch on felt a generic term or is there something specific i should be specifying?

Torch-on is a generic term. There are different one, two or three layer systems, and torch-on is probably the most common and easiest to do. You can also get a cold-adhered felt with you could DIY.

BTW, Redland Regent tiles will go down to 11.5 degree pitch with no need for any additional decking etc

BTW, Redland Regent tiles will go down to 11.5 degree pitch with no need for any additional decking etc

and in all honesty would probably be ok down at 10 degrees.

Decra do some tiles down to 10 degrees also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back