10mm twin & earth cable

Ban, different size cables involved in both posts, hence the difference.

One is dealing with 2.5mm the other with 10mm.

Should have made that clear I suppose.

Sponsored Links
I know they were different examples, but why is it OK with one size and not another? I would have thought that the regs either permitted singles in conduit or not.

If anything, wouldn't the insulation on 1.5/2.5 be easier to damage than 10m?

On a related topic - if you are putting cables in conduit, are rubber/plastic boots to go over the ends of the conduit to prevent chafing widely available?

CO20CUP.jpg

this goes on end of conduit (*socket)

CO20MBB.jpg

this goes inside that (*bush)

for example metal back box, goes under "socket*" bush goes through metal box and tightens into "socket*" when all done you will not see it

There are other options instead of the bush, such as nipple, lock ring and female bush.

* depends where you were taught as to what you call it

In theory you are correct that smaller cable sizes are easier to damage, however we are not dealing with cables designed for installation in Conduit. The installers is are experienced at installing in conduit, and it is likely that the 10mm is the more likely to suffer damage to it's insulation.

I suppose you could say it is a judgement call by the installer, to be honest commenting on it without seeing the state of the conduit always carries risks anyway..it's one of those awkward ones!

Boots for the conduit..never seen any as conduit should be terminated into accessory boxes or conduit boxes.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
bush, such as nipple, lock ring and female bush.

narff narff narff :LOL:

And I thought rude words got filtered

I have a good use for conduit, well trunking anyway (which I suppose is just a type of conduit). When I laid laminate flooring in my bedroom I covered the expansion gap on a couple of walls with 16mmx25mm trunking instead of the more usual wooden quadrant. As I have white skirting it blends in nicely and I then used it in order to run a few cables for things such as multi-room video, audio and computer that were laying across the floor before then. Not quite as good as installing a conduit into the wall but it was better than having cables clipped straight to the skirting or across the floor.

Oh my god, we have a Finbarr Saunders in the house!!

Fnarr Fnarr!!

And I was told that at 23 years of age I was the oldest Viz subsriber in all of Christendom! Right, my colleague owes me a pint now...

AdamW said:
And I was told that at 23 years of age I was the oldest Viz subsriber in all of Christendom! Right, my colleague owes me a pint now...

I'm 38 so I don't think you can be the oldest Adam :D

He owes you at least two pints now :)

FWL_Engineer said:
Boots for the conduit..never seen any as conduit should be terminated into accessory boxes or conduit boxes.
I've got several lengths already installed in my house where ring main cables run down the walls from the first floor. At the bottom they are terminated in the boxes, but at the top they just protrude a couple of inches above the plasterboard of the ceiling, and the cables just enter them there. They are all fitted with boots which are clearly not a lash-up but were specifically designed for conduit used in this way.

Ah well.

How old is the conduit?

I didn't say it was a lash up, to use your words not mine, I said I had never seen them as conduit is meant to be terminated in accessory boxes and conduit boxes..that is not to say it cannot be terminated in other ways so long as care is taken to ensure it is safe and will not cause undue stress or risk of damage to the cables.

Many years ago as an apprentice I terminated conduit in a couple of installations not too dissimilar to yours, we simply used Female Brass Bushes on the ends of the conduit risers to provide protection.

Absolutely my words - I used them to stress that these boots were clearly made for just this purpose, i.e. it was expected that the conduit would be installed in that way. Also the fact that they existed means that they would probably have been made in large numbers, so it it must have been a very common method of installation.

The conduit is getting on for 50 years old. When some of it was last exhumed, 16 years ago, it was perfectly sound.

ban-all-sheds said:
The conduit is getting on for 50 years old. When some of it was last exhumed, 16 years ago, it was perfectly sound.

That is probably why I haven't seen them, even I am not THAT old :D

Finbarr strikes again (I'm 37 BTW)

I've seen loads of conduit in older houses with little rubber thingies on the end, but I've never seen a modern equivalent. I don't think they make them anymore. My problem seems to be that when I pull the rubber thing off the end it falls to pieces.......

securespark said:
Finbarr strikes again (I'm 37 BTW)

I've seen loads of conduit in older houses with little rubber thingies on the end, but I've never seen a modern equivalent. I don't think they make them anymore. My problem seems to be that when I pull the rubber thing off the end it falls to pieces.......
Thanks to Mr Franklin for mentioning Kopex in another post - I thought "why did I never look to see if they do anything?"

And lo:

BXN.jpg

Ban, Nice find and thanks for posting. I actually have a Kopex Catologue in the office and they are not in it, so they must be a recent (within 12 months) introduction..but very useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back