110v and Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Just want to ask if i could get a 220v current out of a single 110v wire connected to earth. will this close the circuit and yield 220v?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You obviously have not been to the Philippines.

Coldslaw is nearest, perhaps he can paddle his canoe over there (maybe he can find a favourable current) :evil:

If you're talking about a single-phase 3-wire 110/220V supply, then you will get 110V between either outer and the neutral or earth, but 220V between outers.

Around the world we have many different systems. Algeria was only 110 volt system I worked on with 110v line to neutral. This gives about 190v phase to phase and the only way I could get my Dutch foreman to believe this was to get another Dutchman to read the meter and tell him on the radio it was just 190v. The problem was the AC was failing as rated 220v and connected phase to phase.

Our 110v gives 64v phase to neutral with a three phase supply. Although normally the neutral is not available with only an earth.

However this is with three phase and with single phase there is a different story. In Suffolk I was caught out when the local caravan site was supplied with a split phase supply 230 - 0 - 230 so 460v between phases not 400v as expected.

So to answer the question would need detailed knowledge of the Philippines system. So this really needs re-posting on a Philippines forum to get an answer.

However this is with three phase and with single phase there is a different story. In Suffolk I was caught out when the local caravan site was supplied with a split phase supply 230 - 0 - 230 so 460v between phases not 400v as expected.

Single-phase 240/480 is pretty common out here in the depths of rural north Norfolk - I'm on a 3-phase network where I live, but I don't have to go very far to see 1-ph 3-w. systems.

I may not be able to really explain my what i meant cause I'm not an electrician in proffession, although i understand a little when it comes to electricity.
here in the philippines the local electric service gives out 22Ov, what I plan to do is instead of using two wires ill just plug in a single wire . . . now to complete the circuit ill connect the other wire to earth.

this is what im asking, if its possible to get 220v or if not will it make a 110v appliance function.

It is very un-likely that you will get 110 volts between one wire and earth. It is almost certain that one wire will be 220 volts above earth ( this is the Live or phase wire ) and the other wire will be at earth potential or very close to it. ( the neutral wire ).

If your supply is single phase 220 v from a transformer with the middle of the winding earthed then you will get 110 volts between either wire and ground.

You will not be able to get much power if the earth is high impedance as any current flow will reduce the voltage or burn out the earth wiring.

But to use the ground as a conductor for the 110 volt supply is
very dangerous for both you and your neighbours as it creates a serious risk of electrical shock from voltage gradiants in the earthing system and the earth itself.

The safe way is to buy a 220 volt to 110 volt transformer large enough for the equipment to be supplied at 110 volts.

ill just plug in a single wire . . . now to complete the circuit ill connect the other wire to earth.
You'd need a very good earth to achieve this, and to get any current to flow. It will always be cheapest investing in a 2-core cable.

It is very un-likely that you will get 110 volts between one wire and earth. It is almost certain that one wire will be 220 volts above earth ( this is the Live or phase wire ) and the other wire will be at earth potential or very close to it.

I'd be cautious about saying it's very unlikely. Single-phase 3-wire 120/240V is the norm in North America, from which the Philippines has been heavily influenced in the past. Although all general appliances in the Philippines seem to be made for 220-240V, there was a thread here a while ago about an ex-U.S. military house there which was wired for both voltages throughout, presumably to provide for the use of American appliances as well. No doubt that was a special arrangement to deliver the neutral to the house, but it suggests that the 220V may well be delivered to "normal" houses there as the two outers of a 110/220V system without the neutral (similar to the way that, at least a few years ago, there were still some homes in parts if Europe being fed with 220V as two phases from a 127/220V 3-phase system).

But even if that is the case here, if there is no supplied neutral then I'll echo the warning that to try and run 110V appliances by just connecting one side to earth is not a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back