110v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a cutter with a 110v plug but it is much smaller than the one on my geni, are there various sizes, generator says type 323 ip44?

Sponsored Links
I thought the bigger ones were rated at 32A and the smaller, like on power tools rated at 16A.

Could be wrong though

Sponsored Links
In ceeforms yes, the size of the body relates to its current rating. They also normally clearly say on them what their rating is. To the OP, are you sure it says 323 on the generator or could it say 32A?
Can you take a couple of photos including a measure and upload?

if it's an older large generator, most of these seem to have 32a sockets (big ones).
Easiest way round it is to get a 110v extension lead (16a) and change the plug for a 32a one. This way you can use either 32a or 16a

To go down in size you need to have some sort of circuit protection in there, a double poled 16A MCB for example.

whyme - to start with there's more than one style of 110v plug (& socket) available ... check out the image below:

The 2 plugs on the right are to BS196-1961 and as a design have been around since the 1930's. The 2 in the pic have moulded plastic bodies, a metal shell which acts as the earth, 2 leg fuses (one for each pole), and a dummy leg. These plugs are available in 2 sizes with 5, 10, 15amp rating for the smaller '16amp' plug (centre in pic) and 15 & 30amp for the bigger '32amp' plug on the right - I've also shown a group of leg fuses which are screw-in replacements. These designs are also available made with metal bodies; these tend to be used in 'heavy' engineering situations like the railways, steelworks, ships, etc. Tackle with this type of fitting is finding its way into general availablity via auctions and ebay.

The plug on the left is of the type most folks will be familiar with and is again available in 2 sizes depending on current rating, 16amp for the smaller & 32amp for the bigger (not shown in my pic).

Spark123's guidance re IP rating is correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back