12 volt Buzzer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just wondering can you connect a 12 volt buzzer to the speaker terminals of a control panel & would it give entry/exit & alarm tones :?:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no, speaker output is audio frequency tones.

12V buzzers work on 12V dc which doesn't have any frequency.

cheers for that.

Problem is a 16 ohm extension speaker is too loud, i am wondering do you know where i can get a smaller speaker.

The ones that are an the Optima Compacts would be ideal do you know what size they are ?

You can also get 32ohm and 50ohm speakers, but what panel do you have as most(a lot at least) have functions to turn down volume.

Sponsored Links
Changing the speaker to a less efficient one is one method.

A better method is to put a resistor in series with the speaker. A couple of 8 Ohm resistors in series will reduce the volume to somewhere between a 1/2 and a 1/4 ( depends on the charactoristics of the speaker ). Maplins sell them, stock code. M8R2 Or a single 18 Ohm Order Code: M18R

Using two 8 Ohm will allow you to try 8 or 16 ohms to give different volumes.

Add a switch that will short the resistor out and you have the ability to switch between full and reduced volume.

The panel should have some sort of volume control for those tones if it is a decent one. You do not mention what yours is.

I think you will find they are not and a piezo buzzer would do the trick.
I am assuming the poster wants to have some sort of volume control.
This is just another way of doing it without another speaker in parallel or resistors needed.

I think you will find they are not and a piezo buzzer would do the trick.
I am assuming the poster wants to have some sort of volume control.
This is just another way of doing it without another speaker in parallel or resistors needed.
You've obviously never heard of irony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back