12V 1A doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my doorbell must be 30 years old and decided the other night to ding at 2am. After its first ding it then sat there buzing to itself (and failed to complete the dong!) until I turned the transformer off. I therefore think it is the bell itself, but my transformer is 12V 1A - most of today's bells appear to be 8V 1A. Does anyone know where I might find a 12V bell - it seems a waste to ditch the transformer, when it is the bell that has gone.

Thanks,

Oliver

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like the bell push or the wire to the bell push is damaged rather than the bell itself.

The bell is OK

The ding is the bolt over shooting and hitting the chime as the power is applied to pull the bolt into the coil.

The dong is the bolt overshooting on the release when the power is removed.

Because the power was not removed, the continuous buzzing, the bolt was never released to make the dong.

The wires to the push by the front door, that may need replacing.

HINT has some joker jammed the button of the push in with something.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - I just found similar advice in the archives - sorry, should have looked there first. It also ties up with the new doors that the builder has fitted about 4 weeks ago - thereby moving all the doorbell wires. I'll try some new pushes and check the wiring for damage.

Oliver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back