12v between earth and live when switch is off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey fellas, waas wondering if you could help me trace a problem.

When i switch off the downstairs socket in a house i have been asked to check, there is 12v between the live and earth pin of the double socket.

The swicth is a chrome double pole and all cables are terminated correctlly. There has been one or two nusicance trips also. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
I take it youve tried switching off every circuit and testing that circuit each time. Also switch off the CU and test it. Are there any old CUs in the intake cupboard? Switch off everything and check each time if necessary. Each time prove it isnt the current testing circuit as you go till you find it. Even pull the main fuse and check it again. You will find it eventually.

Ah...also unplug everything on that circuit first before you do anything else. You might be getting a back feed from a battery backed up machine of some sort.

Have you made sure the socket is actually earthed? If so then the 12V to earth is possibly a voltage being induced onto the sockets from another circuit, or an MCB that is not fully isolating the circuit.

Have you tried it with something like a lamp connected, could simply be capacitive coupling.

Sponsored Links
who took my fluke? said:
Hey fellas, waas wondering if you could help me trace a problem.

When i switch off the downstairs socket in a house i have been asked to check, there is 12v between the live and earth pin of the double socket.

The swicth is a chrome double pole and all cables are terminated correctlly. There has been one or two nusicance trips also. Any ideas??

Are you an electrician?

If yes, I'm scared that a pro couldn't sort it out
If no, what are you doing poking around in the electrics professionally?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back