12V Downlighters Voltage Drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Having a few problems with voltage drop in my lounge, I don't have a particularly big lounge, I have 8 x 30W downlighters in there and a few are noticeably dimmer than the rest, I have ruled out old or knackered lamps by replacing them all with the same batch.

It appears that there are 2 paralleled runs of 4 downlighters connected to a Halolite HA-S300 - 300W transformer. The cable is 1mm conductor 2 core I think.

I could do with getting up there to have a better look, is this the best way to wire them ? Is there a way to overcome this voltage drop? I've seen things wired up in a radial way, with each cable from transformer to 12V fixture being the same length, would this be a better way for me ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, or use thicker cable for the longer runs.
or
position the tranny in the middle and use the same length cable to each.

Didn't know you could get 30 watt MR16s but (assuming you mean 35W) then you are running 3 amps to each lamp. You'll drop quite a lot of volts on thinner wire.

Run all the wiring at LV and step down to ELV adjacent to each lamp. ;)

So are you suggesting individual transformers ? I thought most people hated these things, I know in my old house they seemed to fail pretty frequently ?!

To be honest with you I thought the cable was pretty think, what sort of cable to you recommend ?

Sponsored Links
They are 35W lamps, sorry for any confusion !!

Is there anything wrong with connecting up each lamp individually in a radial style, making sure every cable is the same length, surely this would make any voltage drop equal, admittedly it requires a bit more cable than paralleling.

In my opinion a 1 output 300 W tran should not be wired to individual lights.
Wire lighting does it that way and thats why the wires are so thick.

A 300 watt can be wired to a splitter unit with suitable cable, then seperate cable from each protected way.
There is a 2 core 2mm cable designed for this.

A transformer with seperate protected outputs to each is more suitable.
Or individuall trans.

If a fault develops or the cable is overloaded, unless the cable is rated to take the full 300 Watt 12 volt, it could overheat and the transformer internal protection not shut it down, as the overload is still within the trans output limit.

8X35=280 w/12v = 23.3A on 1.0mm2 volt drop will be high.

why not run from trans. in as large a cable as will fit terms (4mm2 if poss), to a JB in middle of first 4 lamps and loop on to same again for other 4. short lengths of 1mm2 virtually no volt drop.

I'd not thought of that Properleckie, I think I may end up going down this route, appears to make the most sense.

The output from a 300Va tran is up to 25 amp, so what would protect the 1mm cable if a short in the fitting allowed 20 amp or so to flow

A 300 watt can be wired to a splitter unit with suitable cable, then seperate cable from each protected way.
There is a 2 core 2mm cable designed for this.

What should I be looking for when trying to buy one of these "splitter units" is there a name for them ?

if hes running 10 x 30w lamps its flowing 25A in normal operation never mind a fault condition...

That 1.0mm cable must be getting rather toasty!

if hes running 10 x 30w lamps its flowing 25A in normal operation never mind a fault condition...

That 1.0mm cable must be getting rather toasty!

Aragon, there are only 8 lamps, and they are split into 2 x 4 parallel lamp runs, still I'm guessing 11.6A isn't particularly good for 2 x 1mm cable. I'll look at getting this swapped out asap, seems the guy who owned this place before me was a bit of a rubbish tinkerer, you wouldn't believe the amount of rubbish that I have found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back