12v lighting to sheds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to supply a shed 50m away with a low power (5w) light for a chicken house. The light needs to be on a timer so i cant think of a way of doing it remotely by battery.

Would a 12v supply be suitable and does it require certifying? I was thinking it would be simpler than a mains supply. Can anyone sugest simple LED units available and a suitable transformer? thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get the solar power lights that charge a battery by day, iirc CPC do them. Part P does not apply in the Shetland Isles, these only cover England/Wales. How are you for daylight up there? Theres got to be a 12V timeswitch on the market somewhere?

i would opt for several garden solar lights, no transformer or timer required

You will need a 2.5mm² cable for a load of 5W over a distance of 50 meters.

A 12V 5W lamp will be about as close to darkness as you can get.
If you uprate the lamp to just 30W you would need a 16mm² cable to supply it.

Is is simply not practical to transmit such a low voltage over any sort of distance.

Sponsored Links
why not use mains voltage to the shed, then have the transformer in there?

crafty1289 said:
why not use mains voltage to the shed, then have the transformer in there?

She's trying to dodge part P (even though it doesn't apply where she is), by using some sort of battery supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back